big problems event ID 2020 and parser message value creation failed at line 422

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bertie-sprinter, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Bertie-sprinter

Bertie-sprinter Private E-2

Hi

I run a network using a windows XP professional PC as the main "server", I run peer to peer, so all PCs can actually talk to each other, but the users only tend to need to share files from the XP professional PC. I use a router and a hub for the connection. All PCs are hard-wired.

Everything has run fine for years, but lately I have been having problems. I can't identify exactly when we first noticed the error, as originally it was quite rare. The PC would log everyone off the file sharing. A reboot of the main PC would clear the problem and off we went again.

A couple of things that I have done in recent months are add an HP Printer CP2020dn, this is attached via USB to the main PC, and then "shared" via properties sharing.

I then allowed all the windows XP updates to load (there were about 60 of them that had queued up as we don't often reboot this main PC as we sometimes have people using it remotely with logmein).

This included service pack 3.

The problem was relatively sporadic but possibly about once per week.

Yesterday I added a Samsung SCX 4623FN printer, scanner, fax to the system. Again via USB, and then shared the printer and the fax to all the other PCs.

Since then we have incurred Event ID 2020 every 1 hour 45 minutes. Before the system totally crashes we also get the error Parser message: value creation failed at line 422.

I have run malaware and this reported no problems.

I run avira and this has not reported any problems.

I understand that this may be a memory leak? But if it is I am not really sure how to identify what is causing it and how to fix it.

I haven't yet tried system restore, or a Win XP repair - would either of these potentially solve the problem, or is it likely that when I reinstall the drivers for the printers it will all happen again.

The PC is quite old, but no one actually uses it, it is only used as the file sharer, and the main "hub" for attachment of the router, and the usb printers.

As I said at the start up to recently it has run like a dream with no problems at all.

Any clues, or help very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

PS. I am currently at home using my home PC, so I won't be able to action any ideas until the morning, but very gratefully received.

2. Bertie-sprinter

Bertie-sprinter Private E-2

Sadly no one seemed to be able to offer any clues. Anyway, you may be interested to know that I have today managed to stabilise the system - I have run about every diagnostic I personally know (which probably isn't that many, but included CHKDSK, virus check, malware check, system restore, and then deleting loads of unecessary files. Safe mode used extensively. It appears that it was a memory leak, and that it was caused by some aspect of the Samsung printer I had just installed, although I haven't yet identified if it was the driver, the software, or possibly (based on a post I noticed when googling) that it may even have been because I left the cd in the drive, as this contains the user manual in IE format. Only left it in the drive as it is a complicated printer, and I thought we may need to refer to the manual.

Will try attaching printer to a different (non important) PC tomorrow and let you know if I track down the reason. It may help someone else.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds