Serious XP Permissions issue after MS reg Fix

Discussion in 'Software' started by chuck2, Oct 24, 2014.

1. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

We had dreaded "System 32" etc failure. We followed the MS Fix of remove install basic XP registry, and got XP to start, albeit limited. We did see the all files from XP still there,but could not access. We thought we had fixed until we tried to run XP, get into folders, restore, or even get on line. Seems ONLY MS would hook up on line, but not 100%. Others, avast etc, would not go.

Nearly everywhere we got the message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You MAY (caps mine) not have the appropriate permissions to access the item", NOTE did NOT say YOU DO NOT etc. This applies to Safe and reg modes. We cannot get to "restore" which is recommended to get complete older installed XP up. We have read of "go to Properties" but do not have a clue as to what folder or how, as XP keeps us from opening anything other then Windows stuff. We also tried to get via Safe with command prompt using "administrative: C:\windows\systems32\restore\rstrui.exe. Message there was cannot find path.

Really desperate for solution as some say "run this SW" which we cannot do as cannot open drives. About all that seems to work is MS items. We can get to drive C via my computer or to control panel but blocked by "permissions" message. Any detailed solution would be fine, as so far nothing worked or solutions seem to feel we had full up access to all in normal XP. Ideas and remember our XP is mad at us and will allow few if any items.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It just isn't at all clear from your post what originally caused this disaster or precisely what you have since attempted to try to fix it. What is clear is that your system as it stands is completely unusable, and if there is actually no way you can access any of your system restore points in Windows then there is a real chance you are facing a reinstall.

So system restore is the key to this, and if you cannot access it from Windows then you need to try doing so from an XP installation disk. It's years since I used an XP installation disk so my memory will be imperfect, but I do know that you do get the opportunity to repair rather than install, and that restoring a system restore point is one of the repair options.

HTH

3. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

As stated the mess started with the "Config Systems 32 error" which means the registry had gone bad somewhere. This is utube solution and uses the MS Config system32 fix.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZe8YYkH4E
    this is the link to the ref'd MS fix.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

We followed them exactly, brought back XP, but limited ver. We somehow ended up with nearly all files other then MS, unavailable as described in orig post due to permissions issue as described. Note we used the xp rpair con,. to inset the ms fix. The issue is how to get the permissions changed, and very limited access to most files, net etc as described in orig post. Note system restore is NOT part of the repair con, rather you open XP after fix, in safe mode, then go to restore, The permissions issue as stated in orig post, prevents that actions.

4. Earthling

I'm afraid none of that in any way changes my view as to the right course of action. The MS article makes it clear that it does not guarantee restoring a usable system, only that you should be able to recover your files. There are many other ways to do that of course.

5. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

You do not understand the Config Systems 32 error nor the fixes that led us to the permissions issue. The issue now is how to get the permissions changed, not XP repair etc All else you mention has already been done, but thanks for help.

6. Earthling

Suit yourself. I don't have the slightest doubt that a previous restore point represents your only realistic hope.

We will see what others think.

7. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

One more time, with all locked up by permissions, as posted in very first post, YOU CANNOT GET TO THE RESTORE POINT, what is NEEDED is how to unlock the permissions. Then any number, to include restore can occur, until then, nothing will happen except some basic Windows action. You do not understand the issue, permissions is blocking restore etc

8. Earthling

It is you who is failing to understand. By booting to an XP installation disk all those permission issues are completely negated. They have no effect whatsoever in that environment. Your restore points are still on the hard disk and will not have been affected in any way by what happened or by anything you have done since, and you can access them by using the repair option when booted to the CD. Just try it!

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

10. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Extract from MS 1889519
    If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has administrative rights in order to access the Security tab. Access to the Security tab is required in order to change security permission. If you are running Windows XP Professional, you do not have to start the computer in safe mode. For more information about how to start Windows XP in safe mode, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

We have done this but what folder, file or what is the reference "access security tab"???? We fully understand what to do, but we do not have any idea of where the referenced "security tap" is at. Where is this located and how or what do we do to get to it. Simply opening in safe does not do anything to get to security tab as we do not know where or how to get there as has to be done through some file. What are we missing to get to security tab? We have seen it referenced many time but not a clue what or where it is.
    NOTE We cannot go through safe mode or restore until we clear up all the permissions issues.

11. Earthling

Right click any file > Properties. If you are hoping to restore your permissions one file at a time good luck, as you will certainly need it!

Can you explain why you are ignoring the option to boot into an XP installation disk and at least attempt to restore a previous restore point. It is such an obvious solution to your problem, providing of course you had not turned System Restore off.

12. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Thank you for the help, but you do not understand the permissions issues as to restore etc, We are blocked by permissions on nearly all folders other then a few MS windows. So thanks for help but there is a way to restore pemissions, the root issue for all users, sys admin, etc. We do not know how to get to that issue and looking for suggestions on how to do that. Again thanks for input, but we need to get to upper levels, MS does say how , but does not ID the folder to get to change permissions in the referenced article, that is what we seek as fully aware of all you posted, but do no know how to break the lock on the permissions at upper levels.. USER, ADMIN ETC. Please only address only that issue as other posts not needed. Your advise on using disc is not applicable.

13. Earthling

I can assure you that I understand permissions fully and can tell you now that attempting to rectify the current problem by manually adjusting individual file permissions is a complete no hoper. You neither know which files have to have their permissions amended nor what permissions to apply to each, and even if you did it would simply take forever, like trying to get to Mars on a bicycle.

Having said that I withdraw.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

307545 was never meant to be used on OEM Windows installs.

It also doesn't mention that the SAM hive is missing current login info and permissions.

From the way its acting and my experience, this is an OEM Windows install. In which case, you never made it to part two, which restores your permissions and current state.

At this point you are looking at:

A parallel install to attempt to finish 307545 -or-
    Using GNU/Linux and trying to do it outside of anything MS -or-
    A reinstall.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

We had about a 40% recovery rate with it, usually because people had OEM Windows installs which makes it dangerous to use and likely to fail.

More often than not, we would install a version of Windows side by side the broken one, fix the registry DIRECTLY from a system restore point,and then delete the new Windows install. This method has a higher chance of success, and used to be part of the article if memory serves.

I was on the same team that wrote the SO (Solution Object) that became the article in the first place, and initially, it never had that OEM install warning in it. It also had other ways of fixing this (such as the way I mentioned). That has been removed for many years though.

I remember when we kept complaining to MS that they weren't including part two and hosing people's machines. MS' technical writers left it out after review.

16. Earthling

@Adrynalyne - no point in the OP obtaining an installation disk and attempting system restore from that then?

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If they do a parallel install. Not with the media directly though. The recovery console doesn't have access to opening System Volume Information directly.

18. Earthling

This guy offers a way of doing so. I can't test it but having read it it does sound promising. XP disk needed of course.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I wouldn't recommend that method simply because you want all hives to be of the same version.

20. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

You have it 100% dialed in. We do have OEM XP, as when we had them built we asked for XP installed AND the discs. The business very quietly without telling us they used OEM, (charged us full XP prices) and we only found out when we had issue and MS said "OEM ask them", and "Them was closed". MS did they give us data when it was explained. DO wish MS would ID OEM discs at start up and big print on the folder they come in as well as the Disc. We suggested such but never heard back.

SOOOOO Now that issue is as described we have two questions.
    1. We did find on "properties on disc C folder, a way to change permissions etc. We stumbled on it but have no idea how do with the various settings.

Ad in administrator, user, owner, etc. as to setting permissions, inherited, parent, child etc. NOTHING anywhere we can find that covers any of that. Can you explain as seems to be the key issue right there as to permissions. Noted on the warning when trying to open folders on permission MAY not be there etc, also a incorrect path etc... Can you explain how to set the Administrator etc controls on "Full" now but same error.

2. We seem to have a clean install with the fix as MS suggests on delete register items, copy install etc.. We have all the old folders there but "permissions" issue blocks.

And if we do complete reinstall, is there any way to save the old data and move it to the new windows, as we do know how to do reinstall with using it as "window1 or such, but we do not want to lose old data.

THANK YOU FOR DATA SO FAR< seems none knew of issue. We anxiously await reply and hopefully solutions... seems MS forgot to add that to their site data and config system32 fix....

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So is it just a matter that you need permissions changes to finish the second part of 307545? I am not entirely clear on that part. It looks like a clean install right now because from what I've heard thus far, it is not using the most recent good hives but instead a version that is from the initial install of XP.

If its just a matter of gaining access to System Volume Information to finish the article (my recommendation), then its a matter of gaining access to that one folder and then heading back to recovery console to finish part 2 and finally part 3.

Take a look at this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

Otherwise...

If you want to merely gain access to a folder, you can add a current user account like so (This is Windows 10, but the idea is the same):

Right click the folder, go to properties.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/72p40objjwp9j6l/1.PNG?dl=0

Click Edit, then click Add. In this box, add the account name and click 'check' to make sure it resolves (it will underline it).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgoi9blltizqczu/2.PNG?dl=0

Click Ok.
    Then on the previous screen with the username highlighted, click full control. Then apply. This works recursively on files and directories inside the folder.

22. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

1st of all thanks for all your help in solving this dilemma.
    1. I do not have a system volume folder. I did a search and came up with nil.
    2. If I do a search for system restore their is a file
    3. Now on the permissions side of this puzzle. Permissions is under S 1 5 32 547.
    4. No matter how many steps to change this permission it will not change. How frustrating. I tried to get it under the administrator to no avail.
    I'm not a pro at this, just a gal whose hubbie is trying to help resolve. I have no internet connection and cannot download any program.
    I have so many files I need to save, just can't access.
    I am willing to listen and learn

23. Earthling

You do have a system Volume Information folder but it's hidden in the default XP settings. To unhide it open Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > uncheck Hide Protected Operating System files.

24. Earthling

It's a reasonably simple process to save data files from an unusable system using a boot disk - a cd that boots the computer outside of the operating system and enables you to access all of its files regardless of permissions. In an earlier post that you summarily dismissed I advised you to use a Windows XP installation disk for this, which it seems you do not have and cannot borrow. An alternative would be to use a Linux live CD as that will enable you to do the same. In view of your responses to my earlier posts I won't go into the how unless you indicate you want me to.

25. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have no internet connection, how are you able to post here? There may be yet another way to recover your files from the drive you can't re-establish permissions on.

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Earthling is correct re: the hidden folder.

Otherwise, if this is XP Home, you must change permissions from Safe Mode (well its easier than disabling simple file sharing).

27. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Well we have more then one PC, that should be obvious.

28. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

thank you for your suggestions, but something is broke from using OEM disc. We no longer need your help as you do not fully comprehend he issues of OEM issues and it seems very few actually can assist. Worse is all the posts on www about using the XP recovery method with NO warning about such. The big one on utube has thousands of hits, no mention of OEM. Again thanks but prefer no more suggestions from you on our threads.

29. mdonah

Good! :) Is this second PC running Vista or later?

30. mdonah

If the second computer is running Vista or Windows 7, you should be able to take ownership of the folders from the XP drive by pulling the XP drive from it's computer and connecting it to the 2nd computer via a IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 adapter like this one. Walmart or RadioShack should carry them.

Once connected, take ownership of the data folders and all subfolders by taking the steps outlined in the 3 attachments (the second two are for relative reference of how the folders are located). Once you've taken ownership of the XP folders/files in Vista or later, you should be able to back them up to another hard drive.

Once done, you can completely wipe the XP drive and start over with the OEM install CD.

Attached Files:

31. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

BOTH XP, and now external HD

32. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Here we go

Hidden folders- I have already thought of that. Now?

My drives do not work. Still being blocked by "PERMISSIONS"

If I can resolve the "permissions" I can get to my drives, Maybe I can download tweaking.com

The q308421 article from MS does not work for this computer. Maybe because of OEM?

System/32 config error . Heading back to my PC, start all over again.

33. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

For some unknown reason my post has disappeared. Visit <snip> and download the portable edition of Windows Repair (All In One). Extract the files to a flash drive and run the program. Follow the steps and just before the actual repairs start, select only '01 Reset Registry Permissions'.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  34. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It disappeared because it doesn't belong.

No Windows Repair tool will fix this. There is one fix, and that is it.

These are filesystem permissions issues. Sending someone off to another site on a wild goose chase is not appropriate.

There is one fix, and I've already mentioned it. If it doesn't work, then its a matter of reinstalling the OS and dealing with your filesystem permissions then via cacls (if needed) and safe mode.

35. mdonah

Dealing with permissions in Safe Mode [with networking (OP stated they had no internet connection and couldn't download anything if needed)](right click folder -> Security tab) is also easier than cacls from Command prompt. But apparently the OP (Chuck2) has decided to start over from scratch. I also see that the other thread started by the OP about the same issue has disappeared (I understand why.).

36. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes, I had mentioned Safe Mode first, but unfortunately never heard back.

37. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

We tried the safe mode, it did no work. Will Tweak work as can get it on this PC? We can get to RW drive, and run CD down load, but not sure if it will work.Noted on site called PC HELL, same solutions and issues which seems to have same fixes we tried..
    http://www.pchell.com/support/recoverfromcorruptedregistry.shtml

Seems the fix with OEM (we did NOT know it was OEM when we got systems, and MS IS not great in labeling such. Can you look at PC H and see if any changes there.Seems OEM and repair tend to set up new passwords, permissions etc.

We will contact MS to ask why they did NOT state the Fix with OEM disc was dangerous.

So please, one more time, go over you process to fix the mess, get permissions and such. We started new thread as old one got way to much useless and confusing data. Seems some ow which would not work, or did not apply to messes created by OEM. Noted on Utube massive amount of hits for guy doing same fix and not one mention of OEM possible issues. One question do ALL OEM fixes fall apart or do some actually work. What happens if we ran "fiX" via repair con again? Thanks for data, but we got overwhelmed on old thread by those not quite comprehending OEM issues. Got to be millions out there with same potential problem. So, please, one more time if you could.

38. mdonah

If you started another thread about this same issue, more than likely it will be deleted like the last one was.

Apparently Adrynalyne is the only one here who's familiar with the OEM snafu and he's going to have to be the one to assist you further. He was waiting to hear back from you in THIS thread.

39. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I remember being able to do a non-destructive recovery with XP. You could reinstall the OS, but leave all the data intact.

Some discs could do it, some could not. Curiousity begs me to ask if you have attempted such as I read you used the console and command prompt.

What do you think Adry?

40. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I've actually done that several times with XP. As I recall you would opt to re-install the operating system, and then an option to repair the existing installation would present itself. It preserves any files that have been created (Pictures, documents, etc) . . . it justs overwrites the operating system. Of course, a person would have to reinstall all the security updates and service packs that came out after that particular XP installation CD was made. Never had any luck trying to use the recovery console . . .

41. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The snafu is the permissions issue because the default hives are (usually) for an automated install account, and contains little else. This clashes with filesystem permissions.

The fix is the same really, you just have to go about it differently than the article. Namely, using an external interface and doing it DIRECTLY from System Volume Information hives and skipping most of the article.

If we truly are missing System Volume Information, this OS install is a cooked goose. I've never in my 14 years of supporting and working on Windows seen anyone recover from a permissions issue mismatch like this by changing them manually.

42. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The problem with a repair is that it will not reinstate permissions. It only rewrites parts of the Windows folder and default apps. It takes the current hives (the broken ones) and drops them into the windows/system32/config. Anything wrong in the registry and missing from it stays broken or missing.

Installing Windows to a new folder is a viable option though.

43. mdonah

The OP said he/she found a Restore Point.

44. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Adrynalyne

Sorry for the delay to responding.
    Another question
    I still have half my hard drive, what if I set up another windows? Could I transfer all my old data into the new ? transferring the data?
    Would the OEM password block our ability to set up new permissions? What about instead of OEM, is there a way to put this new window into Standard?
    We live rurally getting, an XP CD is nearly impossible. I want to be able to keep the CD for other repairs! If we had only known we would have gotten the standard
    What about 8.1 or 10 Are they OEM too?

We are at a loss in trying to fix this system32/config/OEM problem.

We appreciate your patience.

45. mdonah

Ebay has an XP Pro SP3 install CD with COA/Product Key for $22.99 + $7.00 shipping. I'm sure you get mail and maybe UPS deliveries where you are.

46. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hey chuck2,

Insofar as installing Windows into a different folder, data can certainly be transferred, but applications will need to be reinstalled.

I pause to recommend Windows 8.1, not because it is bad, but because people react violently towards it, whether for it or against it. I code on it daily and use it over OS X.

Don't go Windows 10. It is simply not stable enough. The network issues alone are enough to make someone go insane.

A parallel install method differs from one OS to the next, so let us know what you end up using.

For XP:

http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdparallell/indexfullpage.htm

Oh and I am sending you a PM.

47. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Reread my post and kind of mislead you, so here is corrections

We wonder if we can safely reinstall the XP (OEM) and then how do we get the other data we need that exists on other XP that is hung on permissions issue we do not seem able to correct. Must we transfer one file at time or what, and how. We do not want to mess it up. We have nearly given up on fixing this via repair counsel..

Secondly we live in rural area so not much chance of borrowing someone XP locally for install of a real XP. Found many others rather furious about the MS handling and cover up of OEM issues when we spoke with them.

Then about 7,81,10 etc... we were only curious if they have same issues as does XP with the OEM issues we have with XP. Saw a few used-refurb etc PC for sale as good prices with various 8-10 MS SW, but worry they are no doubt OEM SW, and we do want MS SW Disc with them. Rather upset at way MS ignored and still ignores the issues..

Is there any other options we might have to correct the permissions/oem?

Yes, We get mail/ups.

48. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I still have an OEM copy from Microsoft, and Dell versions.

49. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is pretty much impossible to correct those permissions. I gave you instructions on how to parallel install Windows so you can retrieve data in a previous post. You will need to reinstall apps though. Did you check the Private Message I sent you?

50. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

A, can you resend private as did not seem to get it, will check settings to assure they are correct. Also, just for drill, what would happen if we did the MS registry repair fix a second time?

Now leaning toward a reinstall, and yes with OEM XP, is there any method to get all the old data files into the new install, or does it mean one at a time. Will check settings on Major to see why private did not arrive... Again thanks as you seem to be nation's expert on OEM XP and the mess there. Would we run into same sort of thing with new versions of Windows as seems any for sale are OEM SW? A shame that most, probably 99% of XP users do not have a clue on this one as the "Fix" by guy on Utube, has several hundred thousand hits.. and not a word of possible issues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds