Modem constantly needs to be reset!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrsgarde, Oct 5, 2008.

1. mrsgarde

mrsgarde Private E-2

Lately, my modem is always losing connection to the internet. I'm online and all of a sudden its not connected. I have internet service through Cox, my modem is just some regular cabel modem I bought ( Best Data is the name) and I use a D-Link router for my ps3. When it disconnects, it still says im connected to the internet, and Cox told me to just reset the modem. It works when I unplug and replug it, but Im doing it like 5-10 times a day!!! Is there something I can do to fix this? or do I just need a new modem? It rarely used to do this, and now its hourly!!

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've had similar problems twice. First time It was because I was using bitorrent and was allowing to many connections. Changing from a maximum of 220 to 150 fixed the problem. Second time it was my modem going bad. One of the lights on the front was supposed to turn from red to green after a self check and wasn't doing it. I had never noticed the color change and didn't realize there was anything wrong.

Since your problem is new, I doubt it has to do with number of connections. Check the troubleshooting section of your manual to see if lights on the front can give you any clues to errors. Your manual may be available online. Good Luck!

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I got another modem when my cable connection kept dropping out. The same thing happened with the new modem. Then I called Comcast again. They had a tech at my house the next day. He determined that the signal was at the threshold so he put a booster on my cable line.

If you get a new modem, don't throw the old one away beause it might still be okay. If you still get connection drops, call Cox and get them out to test your line.

4. mrsgarde

mrsgarde Private E-2

Yeah, My modem lights dont change. According to them, theres a connection. So, Im not sure what the deal is. Maybe I should get someone to check the line. Any other suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds