Desktop icons keep moving

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darkwing87, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

My desktop icons keep moving around. I put them back to where i want them but after i open anything, a folder or a program, they are back to the way they were. It isnt a major issue but its annoying. i was hoping some of you would have some ideas.

Im running a HP 522n, 512 MB RAM, and XP Home, service pack 2.

Thanks

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

What happens when you right click on the desktop, then select "Arrange icons by", do you have "Auto Arrange" and "Align to Grid" checked? If so, try unchecking them, by selecting them. You will have to do this twice.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Try Save my Desktop (SMD). Free, works for me. Bazza
    http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/desktop/smd.zip

===

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. bigbazza

You wouldn't believe the trouble I've been it for the last few weeks. hardware troubles, software troubles, idiot operator troubles, etc. Bought a second desktop hand box, only. for AUD$25 (P3/450, 6gig h/d, etc.) to get going on the net again. Borrowed the ex's old W95 desktop, blew the hard drive up. Got some sort of trouble with the motherboard in the P3. It used to work, now doesn't. Thought it was the power supply. Fitted another, still nothing when I press the ON button. So it goes. Won't go on. May post in the hardware section with specific problems. Tranferred the bits from the P3 to my old P2/300 desktop and am running on that now. Bye for now. Bazza

===

6. bigbazza

I notice my avatar has become animated whilst I've been absent. Much banging of head, cursing and swearing for the last few weeks. Very appropriate avatar, lately. Bazza

7. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

well after alittle bit of experimenting i found out that only the desktop folders get moved around, not the program aliases or files. and Save my desktop didnt solve the problem, they still keep moving. It auto arrange is off.

8. bigbazza

Sorry SMD didn't work for you. Once you solve your initial problem, SMD is great for keeping your shortcuts, etc., where you want them to appear on your screen, not where M$ puts them, as defaults. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds