XP Pro can't get chkdsk to run

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mimmik, Nov 25, 2005.

1. mimmik

mimmik Private E-2

Bear with me--this may be a long explanation...I have a fairly new HP laptop with XP Pro and want to backup the HD with over 60GB of stuff, but wanted to clean it up first. Tried to do a defrag but it says chkdsk is scheduled to run and to do that first.

Tried thru C: properties-tools-etc and also through cmd prompt-chkdsk c: /f /r and all I get is messages that it can't secure full access to the volume and do I want chkdsk to run on the next restart? Every time I say Y, but on restart no chkdsk runs.

I've tried doing the same tricks as above with restart in safe mode (with and without cmd prompt), and even though I still say Y to run chkdsk on next restart it never does run.

I've also tried searching the net and various forums and can't find anything that seems like it addresses this specific problem.

I've run virus checks and spyware checks, doesn't help. Registry checks do show errors, like some links, paths, shortcuts, etc that are bad--is is really safe to let a registry fixer delete stuff like that? I can't count the number of times I've been told not to mess with the registry...

So, regarding the chkdsk, am I missing something really obvious or is this a sign of something seriously wrong? I'm afraid I'm out of ideas--can any of you throw a few hints my way? If you do, I'm a newbie, so go gently please. :) Please be very simple and clear in your description--I know just enough to try stuff out without really knowing what I'm doing...

Thanks,
    m

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

microsoft's regclean will fix the reg without harm.

defragging is not 'cleaning' up the harddrive.

it reorganizes the files that are broken, back into the same cluster.

where are you going to backup 60 gig to??

backing up doc/pics/fiiles is okay, but backing the operating system etc is not needed.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Quote "microsoft's regclean will fix the reg without harm"

That's what you think, and what I thought till I used it and it deleted most of my programs serial numbers and licences.

4. mimmik

mimmik Private E-2

Hi and thanks for the reply.

By first 'cleaning up the HD' I meant getting rid of junk files (used CCleaner program), scanning for and repairing errors if nec and then defragging (yep, I actually do know what defragging is, but thanks for being thorough). Sorry if that wasn't clear. :) I figured it was good to make the HD as shiny and error-free as poss before making a backup--good idea or unneccessary?

Since I posted I've run several registry scan/repair programs from majorgeeks and download.com (like Registry Mechanic and Windows Registry Repair Pro), and used them to fix errors they've found--they all make registry backups before repairing, so I hope I'm still safe... :))

so now there are no errors found by those programs, but I still can't get chkdsk to run fully in any circumstances, either thru C: properties--tools, through Run--cmd--chkdsk or through rebooting in safe mode and then trying. It will only run the read-only version of chkdsk (and finds problems, actually), and then the same message about can't continue, needs full access to the volume, do I want to run on restart, Yes, but it still won't run on restart.

Btw, I have a spiffy new Apricorn 100GB portable HD to save all my stuff to (mostly pics & music, but quite a few programs as well now). It comes with CDs to help you make clones or to make bootable copies of your HD (I think that's what it does--I don't have the CDs with me atm!). I've never done either before, tho, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks again for any advice re: chkdsk (or anything else!).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds