Windows 2000 Pro HD support...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fallen Angel, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Private First Class

when i installed windows 2000 it said it wouldnt support my 160gb hard drive so i said.. ok whatever so it just gave me 127 instead of 160 so i figured sure i still have a lot of space.. now i have a download section of over 50gb from here, limwire, etc so i need that back. it said if i installed sp4 that it would support it but it isnt.. any suggestions?

i was planning to wipe the drive and re-install windows but changed my mind but i have all my downloads backed up onto an 80gb external now so i'm ready to if i have to.

i have tried a partition thing but after i was puzzled how i couldnt see it, i realized that i didnt ahve a partition, windows 2000 simply couldnt support the 160gb drive

this is a regular eide drive
    160gb wd caviar if that makes a difference and i have the hd hardware installed.

2. Fallen Angel

anybody know how to disable the cutoff or anything?

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I believe that Win2000 Service Pack 4 will 'disable' the 127gb cutoff. Here's the link to download it from Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260910
    You'll probably have to perform a safe resizing of the partition. I had the same problem with WinXP pre-service pack 1... it formatted the HD as 127gb (it was 200gb) and I used BootIt NG's boot floppy to resize the partition. You might be able to resize it w/ the Disk Management snap-in built into the Administrative Tools in Win2000; I'm not sure. BootIt NG is a great tool for other stuff too, you can download it free, right here from 'the Geeks'.

hopperdave2000

4. Fallen Angel

thanks, i'll try that

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I forgot to mention that you should install service pack 4 BEFORE resizing the partition.... but you probably knew that ;)

6. BigBird

BigBird Private First Class

you know I never realized the was a limit with w2k. I added my 250 gig drive after having service pack4 already installed. I just used the disk utility to transfer the data over!

7. Fallen Angel

so.. how can i do that lol what you just said... install w2k and sp4 on a separate drive then just copy it over to my 160?

8. Fallen Angel

well i currently have sp4 installed and it still isnt seeing the whole thing.. and im losing over 30gb in space...

9. Fallen Angel

ok ive gotten into the disk manager and this is what ive got

its showing 127.99 gb of healthy space , then 21.06gb unallocated, what do i do with the unallocated space? do i format that? when i format it whats gonna happen.... i just want to use my whole 160gb lol ... although that would only be about 150gb.... whats the deal with that?

10. Fallen Angel

what do i do with the space?! partition? i really dont want to screw up my computer here...

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Partition the unallocated space and format it.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It existed in XP too :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds