complicated need some help getting head round

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jratcliffe, Oct 2, 2009.

1. jratcliffe

jratcliffe Private E-2

hi i'm running a xp pro machine which i trying to set up to host files and data across a network (locally) and to have access to for multiple people from the internet (need a web gui preferably and with some users having restrited access, i also need a dummy/test web server so i thought i would experiment with ubuntu server as i can run two (if needed virtual servers on this machine) - i still need the xp install to be in tact(data and programm that are non recoverable) . the machine has 2 hdd 1 - boot drive with xp pro install 1 (in two parts) part a - contains the docs to share b - contains the virtual disk for the server i have installed.

i found and followed this http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ph...rver-for-free/

any ideas how to get this to work or ideas how to get what i want/need set up would be great (i happy to reinstall server and reinstall another server if need be ) the end result i need is

xp machine that i can have remote access to (only in office 2 days a week) which i have sorted via ssh and remote desktop.

and the complicated issue
    one or two virtual ubuntu servers (one as dummy web server ) ( one as a file sharing server to be accesses via user needing different access rights (ie some people are not allowed to see some files/folders)) and possible a GUI file transfer interface (the people accessing these file are NOT tech savy.

both "machines" the host and virtual server have static ips and i have threemore avilble if needed. just need a guide as to how to get this up and runn think i got the hardware and the software kinda right just need a hand getting the finally resalt :cool

thanks in advance if you need any more info happy to provide just at a stand still atm.

2. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

This piece of software called Network Magic, http://www.purenetworks.com/download/ is very user friendly and cheap! It requires no server configuration and allows users on the local network to access predefined folders on each others machines. You cannot serve applications from it but if I'm not mistaken that was not a requirement in your post. You are also offered the option to review client activity. I use in on my LAN with very positive results. Hope this helps. P.S. WELCOME TO MAJORGEEKS!

3. jratcliffe

jratcliffe Private E-2

looks great thou i have got users sharing folders on LAN but need them remotly acessable (when they work form home) and also they are two people that are abroad. hence the need for some sort of WAN setup trying to see if i can run a virtual server to "host" the files. ideas? --"and to have access to for multiple people from the internet (need a web gui preferably and with some users having restrited access"--

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds