Bizarre wireless networking behaviour

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jammin606, Jul 4, 2012.

1. jammin606

jammin606 Private E-2

I've been running a wireless network for a while with very limited success, I'm experiencing intermittent connection drop-outs and poor speeds for no obvious reason.

This is now my third ADSL modem and router (first two were Linksys, the latest is a Belkin), the previous two worked ok for a month or so before performance degraded and this one is now doing the same. I've tried positioning the router in various locations around the house but there's no position that provides a permanent solution.

I've tried using a variety of devices to connect to the router, PC, G5, macbook, apple tv, iphone 4, HTC 7 pro windows phone, and they all behave in the same way.

It seems as though performance drops off when the device is nearer a window, but not exclusively, and the house is in a close of 20 widely spaced houses on the outskirts of the city. I've noted that there are other wireless networks in the vicinity, but I've never experienced these kinds of problems in any other urban environment, and this one is semi-rural.

Any suggestions on what I can do to find a resolution?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

The first thing to do is to shutdown and reboot your network in sequence - modem, router and then comps and devices letting each sync up before starting the next. My linksys router seems to need a reboot every month to 2 months for whatever reason due to connection speeds slowing down. (Network gremlins ;))

Also, you can take a look at this sticky, http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=37 , paying particular attention to the third, fourth and fifth subjects. Updating everything, wireless channel and optimization are the other basic troubleshooting avenues available to you.

3. jammin606

jammin606 Private E-2

Ok thanks.

If I don't get anywhere working through the standard options, are there any routers that are better at cutting through interference than others?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I've always had good luck with the Linksys in my settings, work and home, so I don't have the exposure of other routers. Perhaps someone else would have some comparative opinions.

5. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I apologise if this should be in a thread of its own, but it's a comparative experience, with possibly the same solution.

No solution (yet), I'm afraid but a similar problem.

When at my Dad's house (in the UK) working on an IBM T41 machine, I experience intermittent when using a wireless connection [router = Netgear DG834G v2] drop-outs, a few per hour, connection is usually spontaneously made again in a few minutes, but the thing I find most odd is the connection can be 'none' while the signal strength is 'very good' (I assume this refers to the carrier generated by wireless router).
    On his other laptop 6 feet way through a wood/glass door,in the next room closer to the router, he says he experiences no such problems.

Dumb_Question
    26.July.2012
    IBM T41 - XP/SP3 - 1.5GHz Pentium M - 1 GB RAM - motherboard 23733JG

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

@ Dumb_Question

Have you tried going into the wireless adapter properties and checking that the power settings are at 100% and also check that the computer can not turn the adapter off to save power.

7. Dumb_Question

No I haven't done that.
    How would I do that ? From Control Panel ?

Dumb_Question
    28.July.2012

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Expand Network Adapters > Right click adapter and choose Properties > somewhere in there are power settings - depends on the type of adapter.

9. Dumb_Question

I have four wireless adapters in my present computer (which isn't the same as I was using), but choosing the 801 protocol one I have changed 'minimum power' from 'enabled' to 'disabled'. The power output was already set to 100%.
    Prior to this, in the last few minutes, I have suffered a lost connection already a number of times. I will let you know how I get on.

Dumb_Question
    28.October.2012
    HP Pavilion dm4-1050ea

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  10. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Out of curiousity, are you using the HP wireless app to connect?
    If so, try disabling it and using the windows wireless app.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds