Trip to Scotland, Postal codes (huh?) and secession vote

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Sep 8, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Re: Scotland secession vote

Have a fabulous holiday with the family. :)
    Can't give an educated opinion on the secession vote- but from what little I heard from friend a in London, Scotland is financially sound.
    I've been wanting to go on a road trip to Scotland for the last two years, with my family- and friends from London. For some reason it got botched each time time!

I'm sure David will have some inputs on the political front.

Have a great time. :) And do post pics, as it's beautiful.

Cheeers..

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Are you taking the kids along? Plan on playing a little golf? Got room for me??:wave

4. LauraR

Thanks sikvik! We are really looking forward to it. My husband and I are headed there with another couple. We are all big golfers so will be playing every day. I could go without playing every day because I'm also a photographer, but I'm going with the flow.

I'll be taking my camera and several lenses and my tripod, so I am really hoping I get a chance to get out a bunch with it.

I'll be carrying it around during golf as well. Rain is in the forecast (surprise surprise LOL) so I think I may see if I can find one of my kids' little waterproof point and shoot cameras for that. It'll be easier to carry around on the course than my dslr anyway.

I think this vote is really interesting and obviously history making if it goes through.

I would hope they are financially sound or else it's not a very good idea.

Nope. And yep...more like a LOT of golf (every day except the first day and the last when we fly out). I just bought a big 28" suitcase. Not sure you'd fit in there with all my shoes and raingear though. :-D

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Re: Trip to Scotland and secession vote

Party at Laura's house!!!!! :-D

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Have a great time! It's a place I've often wanted to visit. We were supposed to go to the UK a few years ago and stay a few weeks with friends, but circumstances conspired to derail that plan for now.

I don't know a lot about the politics involved . . . but a free people have the right to determine their future. It's a big step, though, no doubt about it. The diplomatic logistics of it alone are daunting to consider.

Be safe and have fun. Looking forward to seeing pictures :)

7. LauraR

Thanks!:) Sorry you haven't been able to make it as planned.

I've been to London, but that is it as far as visiting the UK. Should be fun.

Now what the heck is up with these postal codes??

Can someone place explain them? I thought they were like our zip codes, but clearly they aren't. I'm putting addresses into my GPS so we have them right in there and don't have to enter them later. It seems all I have to do is enter a postal code? Is that correct? Does each house/property have their own postal code?

8. wwfc550

wwfc550 Private E-2

I live in Scotland and I can truly say that the whole independence thing has gripped the country.

A lot of it is claimed to be patriotism, but myself I truly believe we'd be sunk without the rest of Britain.

I will be voting No on the 18th September as I don't want to be separate from the rest of the UK.

Regarding postcodes this wiki article will explain them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcodes_in_the_United_Kingdom

Basically you may get a group of buildings with the same postcode, but it is down to the postman to make sure that things are delivered to the correct location.

9. LauraR

Thanks for your insight! :)

So how do you think the vote is going to go?

As far as postal code...so that means if I put one in my GPS for a golf course, I'll be able to find it pretty easily?

10. wwfc550

wwfc550 Private E-2

Currently the No vote is 6 points ahead, but it is changing daily so it really is too close to call!

Postcodes will generally get you in the right area, then it will just be using common sense to find the exact place you are looking for.

Big things like golf courses will generally be very well signposted before you get there so don't worry :)

Whereabouts in Scotland are you headed?

11. LauraR

We are flying into Edinburgh and staying in St. Andrews...so playing a bunch of courses in that area of the country. :)

12. wwfc550

wwfc550 Private E-2

Nice. I'm in South West Scotland, the bit everyone always misses :-D

If you a ever doing a tour of Scotland makre sure to swing by Dumfries and Galloway. It is a beautiful place to live.

13. LauraR

We will be just east of you then (I had to look up the map LOL).

After looking it up, your town looks quite beautiful indeed. A lot of history. I'd love to go there and take pictures.

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sounds like a great trip! Have fun, and as stated, take some picts!

15. wwfc550

wwfc550 Private E-2

Bit further North too :)

I'm actually just outside Dumfries town itself in a small town called Lockerbie (you may have heard of it....)

The whole of the county is pretty, you should do the GTR (Galloway Tourist Route) from Gretna Green to Ayr. It takes is some gorgeous countryside and takes you through lovely little villages and towns.

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I do on politics and well I think better a NO vote as the long game is what's at stake over a vote against a David Cameron Gov or UK Westminster Gov.... too many variables to go into in a post, unless you want me to type at least 20 pages!

Some basics:

Monetary Union, why if you want independence why have a union of money, simple answer is for "last lender of resort" so that if a Scottish Bank goes bust with another financial crash the UK taxpayer has to bail them out, now the big word here "UNION" so monetary union is not full independence as Scotland will still have t bow to UK taxes and interest rates, so not independent.

NHS, a biggy and IFS today stated http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...hredded-ifs?qt-most_read_and_most_commented=1 the fact is and from someone who as I do work in the NHS and deal with NHS Scotland (see big words there as "NHS Scotland" remember those) as its independent already, there is no way the UK gov can privatise NHS Scotland, the Scottish Gov has control over it and the IFS stated today in their report that they do not spend all the money given for NHS Scotland on NHS Scotland, they are to cut the funding in 2015/16

The NHS is not being privatised at all, even in England, its a political rouse, around 6% NHS work is private, generally has been for 15yrs+ but if ou wish to nitty gritty this then the NHS was privatised by the past Labour Gov as they went hell for leather on PFI schemes that allowed new hospitals to be built but controlled by excessive interest rates (yes I know PFI was brought in by John Major a Tory, but it was hammers to death by Labour in office), so in essence the NHS in some degree is private!

Consumer goods:
    Well its up to the individual companies and retailers to set a price, but if currency is random and a independent Scotland is evolved then as Scotland is a vast spaced out community opposed to England then as retails have born the cost of transport currently, they may not in an independent Scotland, that's all they are saying.

Banking and Finance:
    Minefield, who knows as monetary union is a guess on the Pro-independence side as they are hoping the UK will back down, I think they will not, and what happens to mortgages, savings, pensions?

Most banks post financial crash do not like change so that's why many are looking at moving to UK.

EU and NATO:
    Despite what Pro Independence say they are not a shoe in the EU membership and may need years to make sure they hit the criteria of stable GDP, then it needs the other member states to say "yes" to membership, this is not a coattail thing as Alex Salmond thinks.

NATO. not going to happen as Independent Scotland wants rid of Nuclear and NATO is a nuclear alliance so its none negotiable, then comes the job losses in the 1000s as military companies will have to relocate south to maintain assets.

Infrastructure:
    SNP have not even gone down this route what about:
    BBC TV services _ do you still pay the UK TV Licence, do you pay per view as why should the UK TV Licence payer fund you?
    Roads - Road Tax and maintenance, can Scotland afford this?
    Rail - who maintains the rail network north of boarder?
    Power?

Security:
    Who defends you? Independent Scotland has no security service, it needs to re-affiliate some regiments of the military and pay £bn for assets

Too many ifs and SNP are not honest at all, TBH no politician is honest but SNP are going for hearts over head and that's dangerous as its not a get David Cameron, Tory, Westminster out of Scotland but the very essence of Scotland, and going it along is dangerous in this day and age and I thin too many that I see on UK news that are ordinary folk are voting for blaming bankers, corporations and politicians for the woes of the world, when, thin of it bankers yes fcuked up but they like companies employ 10000s of folk, so don't cut of your nose to spite your face.

Oh I could go on... I hope Scotland stays part of the union but if you vote to split, it has to be a full split, not cake and eat it stuff like Fiscal/monetary union, sharing of funding for sports etc, independence is going to alone.

THAT SAID Laura, you and Vic have a great Scottish holiday and I know you will love the country and golf courses!

Ah postcodes are by a geographical area and the narrow down per block of houses, then the house number narrow it down exact, so for instance my work is L7 8XP and that will get you a direct GPS link as its a whole postcode area for others maybe L7 -XP but need a house number to get accurate destination.

Yes you should find a golf course easily with postcode

17. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Living in England I think the whole thing is ridiculous and is timed perfectly with the tail end of the recession and the current conservative government who has implemented a bunch of cuts that everyone hates. Alex Salmon has basically written a list of all the bad political decisions/choices most people disagree with then said vote for independent Scotland with him in charge and he'll end all bad political decision making.

Never happens.

I really feel hurt that so Many Scottish people feel this way, the vote is very close. Everyday I swing from Scotland 'IS' the UK to 'you wanna leave then leave."

This must be what divorce feels like.:-D "I love you don't leave. I hate you for making me feel this way. Fine then leave you Tramp!" :-D

Hope you enjoy your trip Laura, post some pics.

18. DavidGP

TBH Rikky the cuts are ones that are needed as we as taxpayers cannot go on funding those who do not wish to contribute, its should not be called a "benefit" as it is not beneficial to the wider society, its a drag.

Just for a small area and one I know well, the NHS, many think its a given right... yes its a public service and many pay into it, and I love the fact its free at the point of need, BUT if you DNA or are late to an appointment, you are dragging the service down, the DNA rate for GP and Hospital are 20M (2013/14) missed appointments and that's whey the NHS is in crisis, start charging folk for missed appointments and things will change.

Think the YES vote has missed giving the public a lot of information and its a heart over head vote... going to be nasty next Friday no matter the outcome.

19. LauraR

Thanks for all the insight into the country. I can't say I understand how the UK works as far as governing. There are obviously a lot more things that go into this vote than just being independent.

We have an 8:50 PM flight out tonight and land tomorrow around 9:30AM.

I have some more prep to do, but I think I'm mostly organized.

Our weather is getting me ready since, as I look outside, it's raining. LOL

I'll be gone through the whole week and will be sure to put up some pics when I get back.

20. DavidGP

TBH Laura none of us know how the damn country runs, its a mishmash! but political minds will sway votes, so heart over head is the sad fact of this independence vote, you are in for a rare event on your trip.

Funny enough pack summer clothes as UK is surprisingly dry at present, weather for next week seems cloudy with odd rain spell.

You both have a fantastic time :)

21. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Hope you have safe travel and enjoy your trip!

22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I want to know if you talk different when you land there. :-D

23. oma

oma MajorGeek

24. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Good video Oma. I will be reading Laura's posts with an Scottish accent for a while. :-D

25. LauraR

After 5 straight days of playing golf I think my body may be falling apart. LOL What a great country and people though.

I am sitting outside on our patio with my Surface right now. The funniest thing is that at home, there is no way I'd be doing that since it's probably about 60 and damp. It's not raining, it's just always damp. It feels awesome though.

There has not been much relaxing this trip, but since the guys went to play another round, my girlfriend and I are spending the rest of this afternoon hanging out. I figured I'd check in with you all. :)

The vote obviously went with the No's. They had a record 84% turnout at the polls. That's pretty incredible. We've heard lots of view points and it was really nice listening to both sides without any bias since we don't live here.

26. DavidGP

hahahaha

yeah great folk up in Scotland and they are in Ireland, Wales and England, great sense of humour you will find.

What Surface do you have? I have the original Pro, its ok, the Surface 3 Pro in i7 guise would be perfect but not ay £1200+ (in $ a shit load)

Yeah the polls where huge numbers for a population of around 4m in some respects not larger than a stare in the USA, but a crucial vote, I think it went the right way as I work with Scots a lot, so did not wish too loose that connection (say connection as we would have to because of EU and data protection as independent Scotland would not have been covered for medial data).

So how's the golf and hope you are taking plenty of pics as your website is awesome, I did reply to your PM on that, need to .com

27. LauraR

Really great people. :) It was interesting how some were incredibly hard to understand for us and some not at all. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to it since we stayed right around St. Andrews.

I have the original Surface NT, Dave. I use it primarily to travel. It's great to just go online or Skype with my kids.

I have to say, there were incredibly well thought out reasons from a lot of people we spoke to on both the Yes and No sides. I agreed with a lot from both sides. I think it's incredible how many people turned out for it and it was very close.

The golf is crazy good. I still haven't had a chance to get pics uploaded. I'm going to try to do that today, but I've got tons of stuff to catch up on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds