I have Pantry moths

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Sep 11, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So, the last few days, we've noticed when we open our pantry door a little moth or two will fly out (which I kill when I can). I didn't think too much of it, but they kept coming.

I just looked it up and it turns out my pantry is infested. :cry

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like in your food (I haven't seen any in mine yet):

[​IMG]

:puke

Has anyone ever had this?

I am cleaning my pantry out right now and will be going to get moth traps as well.

Ugh!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Re: I have Patry moths

Yikes! My mother always put a dried bay leaf in all her containers of flour, oats, and such as a preventive to keep insects out. Also she washed the shelves with vinegar. Never had this so don't know if it works on moths but worth a try.

3. LauraR

I've been looking things up and bay leaves were definitely one of the methods of detering them.

I've gone through all the flour and stuff like that and so far haven't seen any thing in them. I didn't look in the open cereal boxes...just threw all of them out. The bags of flour are going in zip lock bags for a while.

I'm going to vacuum the whole thing out and clean it with most likely vinegar. I'm also about to run to home depot and pick up traps.

I guess on the bright side, my closet is being cleaned out and old stuff purged.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You must shop a Walmart. :-D

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

Someone told me they moved a box on the shelf in the grocery section at Walmart and a mouse was sitting there staring back at them. LOL! Of course that could happen at any grocery you just don't want to see them or evidence(tracks) they have been there. Ewwwww!

6. LauraR

roflmao

Nope.

I am totally blaming it on any organic stuff I've gotten. Damn non-pesticide food!. :-D

There's a party going on alright. I'm just not invited.:cry

Oh, that's just ewwww!!

Okay. I am armed for battle.

I got this:
    [​IMG]

This:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And picked this up as well to get rid of the darned fruit flies while I'm at it LOL:

[​IMG]

7. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

We used to get them CONSTANTLY! The only way to get rid of them entirely is, unfortunately, to throw away all dry goods that show any indication of them. Then clean your cupboards out with a bleach solution to make sure any eggs are gone. For a while, when you buy new flour, etc., put the bags in airtight plastic containers (or keep them in the freezer or refrigerator). Once that's handled, buy an industrial-sized bag of bay leaves... they really do work! We started leaving a bay leaf periodically throughout our cupboards, and we've not seen a pantry moth in years. I probably use more than you actually need, but since I bought them in bulk by weight it's worth it to me.

8. LauraR

Thanks Beth.

Yep. I just used that bleach spray on all the shelves I've cleaned so far. I have to empty the other 5 or so now and vacuum and clean those.

I haven't seen any infestation other than the actual moths which is weird. I've checked all my flour. I'm taking some advice I saw online and putting them in zip lock bags for now and keeping them in there to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I didn't even see any webs or anything in the closet, so no idea where the suckers are....maybe some old cereal boxes (which I threw all of that out).

When I took the moth traps out, 2 moths immediately flew out of the closet. LOL. I vacuumed them up.

I'll do the bay leaves as well. katkat mentioned them too.

9. LauraR

They outnumber me about 100 to 1, but I am going to triumph. LOL

10. Anon-9aee479f8f

Because of a fear of spiders I am obsessed with sticky traps in the garage and basement. Can't have too many of them in my opinion.;)

11. LauraR

Speaking of spiders, I am not afraid of them and have never been. So yesterday I was sitting on the ground at my coffee table in my family room while I was entering in Scottish postal codes into my GPS of all the courses we are playing just so I have it in there and don't have to worry about it while there.

I have a glass top table and I see this little spider go crawling under the glass length wise right under where I'm working. I don't pay any attention to it and let it go.

About 5 minutes later, I feel this little tiny pain on my leg.

The freaking thing bit me!! It crawled onto the ground, under my leg and bit my leg. I smashed it. I have never had that happen before. :mad

12. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Of course you are. Speaking as a former vanquisher of Wasps, I have complete faith in your ability to decimate any vermin bug-like creature that dares to invade your home. ;)

13. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

roflmao I can just imagine this.

OMG You're brave, I see one...I run.... LOL

Hope you get the pantry moths gone!

14. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Re: I have Patry moths

I didn't know that. Good tip :)

15. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

One huge spider (biggest I have ever seen in these parts . . . and multi-colored, as well) crawled across my keyboard. I pushed myself back so hard I almost fell over the back of the couch. I may have made some inarticulate noises. Spider dead now. :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  16. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

That has been my method for a good while.

LOL

17. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

I thought it said "PANTY moths", :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds