problem with hidden files and folders

Discussion in 'Software' started by sayami, Mar 6, 2007.

1. sayami

sayami Private E-2

Hi,
    My pc has XP 2006 with antivirus eTrust. Recently, it was infected by RavMon.exe virus which my antivirus didnot detect. I had to remove it with Protector Plus 2007 free antivirus. Now the problem is, i cant enable "show hidden files and folder" from tools-folder options-view tabs. whenever i press apply or ok button, the screen flickers and checked mark goes back to "Do not show hidden files and folders".
    I had hidden some folders and i cant get them back. i tried unhiding them from dos which worked but the problem still remains.

Is my pc still infected with some viruses unknown to me? Please help!!!

p/s: sorry for my bad english.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Try this
    Copy the bold text below to notepad. Save it as fixME.reg to your desktop. Be sure the "Save as" type is set to "all files" Once you have saved it double click it and allow it to merge with the registry.
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg]
    "key"=-
    "item"=-
    "hkey"=-
    "command"=-
    "inimapping"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "Hidden"=dword:00000001
    "SuperHidden"=dword:00000001
    "ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000001
    "HideFileExt"=dword:00000000

3. sayami

sayami Private E-2

i did exact way.
    saved notepad as "fixME.reg" and run it. Infomation was added to the registy. It worked for once, showed me the hidden files of that drive but problem is still there. One more problem arised, now notepad and other documents once opened cant be closed, they stopped responding.

4. sayami

sayami Private E-2

was i supposed to copy the "REGEDIT4" as well which i did.

m thinking to format my hdd and install fresh xp and other softwares which may solve my all these problems but need to backup few imp. files. if i take backup of my files and restore them later in fresh xp, will that problem come back again?
    i m in desperate need to save my few files.

5. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

No, the files should not bring up the problem again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds