USB tray icon doesn't display anymore

Discussion in 'Software' started by martdcx1, Dec 30, 2007.

1. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

My USB tray icon is not displaying anymore. My USB hard drives are working properly and showing up in My Computer but the tray icon normally used to eject them doesn't show anymore. Anyone know a fix? My operating system is XP SP2. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Ok well this is weird. I put in a really old Lexar 128mb usb drive and the icon appeared. I then connected the newer kingston 4gb usb drive as well and the icon disappeared. I can go into My Computer and right-click on either one to eject them but that tray icon won't show.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you clicked the little arrow to the left to show all icons? ( could have become hidden )

or to force the USB icon to show, right click the TaskBar and choose Properties > then make sure its opened on the Taskbar Tab > click Customize > where you see in the list the Safely Remove Hardware* or USB Device icon click the dropdown next to it under Behaviour and choose Always Show > then click OK > Apply

or Untick in the Taskbar Tab of the Start Menu Properties > Hide Inactive Icons.

*too used to Vista now so cannot remember what that icons called.

3. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

my icons aren't hidden and i tried forcing it to show like you said but it doesn't work. thanks though.

4. DavidGP

Hi

Ah ok then lets try two other things I can recall,

Click Start > Run and type or paste this rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll then hit enter, does the Safely Remove Hardware box come up? if so at least we know thats not broken.​

Open My Computer > Right click on the USB flash drive and choose Properties

Click on the Hardware tab and select the removable drive from the list > Click the Properties button

Click on the Policies tab and change it from Optimize for quick removal to Optimize for performance then click OK​

Does the icon come back when an USB device is plugged in? if so then retrace option 2 and change back to Optimize for quick removal from Optimize for performance

5. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

Ok for #1 the box does come up but of course nothing shows in the list. #2 didn't make the tray icon display either.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the Unplug or Eject Hardware icon is not displayed in the notification area, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Hardware. The Add/Remove Hardware Wizard starts.
    3. Click Next.
    4. On the Choose a Hardware Task page, click Uninstall/Unplug a device. Choose this option to uninstall a device or prepare the computer to unplug a device., and then click Next.
    5. On the Choose a Removal Task page, click Unplug/Eject a device. Choose this option to temporarily unplug or eject a device., and then click Next.
    6. In the Hardware devices list, click the device that you want to unplug, and then click Next.
    7. On the Confirm Device page, click Next.
    8. When the Completing the Add/Remove Hardware page notifies you that you can safely remove the device, unplug the device from your computer.

If you want to display the Unplug or Eject Hardware icon in the notification area, click to select the Show Unplug/Eject icon on the taskbar check box, and then click Finish.

7. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

There is no Add/Remove Hardware icon in my control panel. There is only "Add Hardware" and "Add/Remove Programs."

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

XP uses "Add Hardware" , 2K uses "Add/Remove Hardware". The source was probably writing from a 2K computer.

9. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

I still tried it and didn't see the same options they were referring to.

10. DavidGP

Hi

If you have Spybot S&D installed disable it now and then run this fix from Kellys Corner its 1st row line 5. Restore Safely Remove Hardware Icon( Kelly Theriot is a well respected tech and her tweaks and patches are well known )

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

11. martdcx1

martdcx1 Private E-2

umm that just does the same thing as "Click Start > Run and type or paste this rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll then hit enter". I can get the box to open. It's just that I can't see anything in the list.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds