Can I upgrade this? Compaq 6430NX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fuelman, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Fuelman

Fuelman Private First Class

have a 5 year old Compaq 6430NX desktop that has been relatively reliable and dependable. A couple months ago the cpu died and the computer repair guy localy fixed it by replacing the cpu with one he said is "just as good" as before. I said ok, fine. Well what th emachine had was an AMD XP2600+ w/266fsb, socket A cpu. The computer guy fixed it with a 1900+ cpu and this thing is a lot slower than what I want. Affording a new computer is not possible at the moment.
    What I would like to know is which AMD 2600+ chip do I need to replace it with to get back the performance it once had? Or can I go to a little bit faster cpu on this motherboard?

BTW, I'm not taking it back to the bozo who "fixed" it before....

Thanks
    Brian

2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Fuel,

Google for each part number and you should find a dealer that lists all the specs for each chip. AMD used to brag that the 2600+ was as fast as other processors at 2.6 Gigs even tho it was actually clocked at a lower speed. If that is still true the 1900+ would be equal to others at 1.9 Gig. The dealer will usually list the actual clock speed. Better would be to go to AMD's site an see what they say. AMD 2600+ is the name of the processor and can be replaced with same. Your mother board may be able to support something faster. Check the manual for the MB if you can.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds