Reinstalled, network/monitor driver problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by gmreplay, May 20, 2012.

1. gmreplay

gmreplay Private E-2

I just did a fresh install of win7, and upon reaching desktop Windows reveals that it can't find any network connection.

I use an AT&T 2wire 3600hgv and a Dell U2412M. When trying to manually install the driver for either of these devices, the device manager reports either that "windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" or that no driver can be found. This is getting immensely frustrating. It's the first time I've reinstalled since getting this router, so I think it has to be the source of the problems. Any idea how to go about fixing this?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to network adapter in Device Manager? What is the make and model of your computer?

3. gmreplay

gmreplay Private E-2

Nope, just a red X. Dead as a doornail. I'm running Win7 64 ultimate, 2600k processor, 6970 gpu, 8gb ripjaw ram, 1tb caviar black hdd. Built it myself.

4. tgell

This red X is on your network icon? So you do not have any Network adapter listing in Device Manager? Probably not the problem, but is your Ethernet enabled in BIOS?

Edit: If this red X in on your network adapter in Device Manager, can you right click and select enable?

5. gmreplay

gmreplay Private E-2

Yep, red X over the network icon. Zero access or recognition that any network is available.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. tgell

There is no Network Adapter listed in Device Manager? What is the make and model of your motherboard. It may be necessary to install the chipset driver if the Ethernet driver is part of the chipset.

7. gmreplay

gmreplay Private E-2

P8P67 Pro. As this is the first time I've reinstalled windows since getting this modem so you might be right.

8. gmreplay

gmreplay Private E-2

You brilliant man, that was the solution! I was focusing so much on the router/modem driver I had forgotten about the motherboard's ethernet driver entirely! Similarly for the monitor I was so focused on getting the monitor driver I had forgotten that the GPU driver must be installed as well to adjust resolution. Thank you for your wisdom!

9. tgell

Hey, glad you got everything sorted. Thanks for the feedback.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds