Making a wireless router into an access point....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treachery380, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Treachery380

Treachery380 Private E-2

I have a wireless router outside in my garage. My internet comes from in there. I have a 802.11g linksys router. I have a wireless gateway that I use in my home to connect to the internet. I recently got another 802.11g router from a friend, and I was wondering if I could change the router to connect to the other router. I was hoping that there would be a way to make it into a "combination", like it recieves the signal from the other router and boosts it in my house. I would like to use the other gateway for my laptop, and I would like to have freedom of moving around in my house and getting a good signal. Thank you.

2. Treachery380

Treachery380 Private E-2

I have cable internet, and the filter is in my garage. I want to use the router that is connected directly into the cable "splitter" as a normal router. I want the other router to recieve the signal in side my house and to boost the signal. This way my house will have better coverage. Then my other wireless devices will work better in my house.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Few of the Linksys WRT54G v1 -v4 and WRT54GS can work as Clients (Bridge) if flashed with 3rd party firmware.

Otherwise you can not do it.

:)

4. Treachery380

Treachery380 Private E-2

It's a v2. I don't know very much about networking, so it would be really helpful to get step-by-step instructions. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds