sfc /scannow problems...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kaddock, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaddock

Kaddock Private E-2

I just ran sfc /scannow, and after a little while it asked for my windows xp pro cd, no biggie right? Well, its telling me that I don't have the correct cd... This is a legit Win xp pro cd, so I'm not sure what's going on. Any ideas? I know I can just cash i386, but I was wondering if there is anyone who knows why the scan is saying I have the wrong disc, since it is my install disc. ;) thanks

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Depends on what file is needed. If you have updates than the CD you are using is out of date.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That is not how sfc works.

It looks to several sources for files.

service pack file cache, CD, dll cache, and other cached hotfix files. As files are updated, it is not required for the CD to be updated as well.

The error is because your paths are mixed up in the registry, not because the CD is out of date.

Open regedit.exe, and follow this path. Make no modifcations!
    HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Setup

Look to the right.

What are the values for Sourcepath and Servicepacksourcepath?

Then, tell me what the letter of your cd/dvd drive is.

4. Kaddock

Kaddock Private E-2

I tried that, all of them are F:... Any other ideas? rolleyes

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Tried...what?

I want the info posted here so we can discuss it. A screenshot is fine.

Is your CD up to date with the latest service pack? If not, then your registry keys are messed up. They should not all point to your F:\ drive(assuming thats the CD drive).

6. Kaddock

Kaddock Private E-2

Hmm... Well, diskkeeper just told me it couldn't defrag C: cause of file system errors or something (i was tired). Anyway, see the attached screenshot. I don't think that one of my data sources should be protowall, since I uninstalled it months ago... I will update you if I see anything else! Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I need an answer on this. Does the CD contain the latest service pack?

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've had similar sfc problems. I'm interested to see where this thread goes. I'd like to learn why this happens to me occasionally also.....

9. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Hi,
    Do you have more than one CD/DVD drives?

If so try one of the other drives.

I find if I do not insert my XP Program disc in the correct drive I receive the same reading problems

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The registry controls which CD/DVD drive can be used with sfc.

11. Kaddock

Kaddock Private E-2

Alright, yes my XP CD does have SP2 on it, and I have only I CD drive.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well in that case, the most likely possibility is a scratched CD or dirty drive.

13. Kaddock

Kaddock Private E-2

hmm, i will check those things and let you know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds