Sagemcon F@st1704 for Windstream password help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by user44, Apr 26, 2012.

1. user44

user44 Private E-2

I just got this from Windstream and now have major suspicions. Thus, I just added a Cisco E4500 and I guess I will bridge??? the Faast1704 to the Cisco?

Anyway, first things first.

What's the User=Support Password?

I noticed in their xml config file that this DSL modem calls home a lot. I also noticed that there is a Support account and that one could alter the password if, and only if, one knew the original password.

Just doesn't seem like a good idea to leave my DSL modem wide open to thievery from some hacking nation or prankster down the block who suspects I never changed the default passwords.

So before I ask about everything else, please tell me how to fix the Support account problem.

thanks

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I'm not sure how the DSL modem could be connected to by the kids down the block, but regardless, the password should be admin and user, also admin.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Keep in mind that remote access is used for some of there diagnostic tools and back when i worked for em, if customers had altered there modem in which we couldn't reach/access those, we were told to consider it a damaged modem. Granted this was back in 2005/2006 but still, changing any of that stuff could cause you to loose your internet and internet support.

4. user44

user44 Private E-2

thanksforthe reply.
    There is the "Admin" account, true. However, this device also has a fixed named account with, ostensibly, lower security permissions. It is called "Support".

They don't tell us what the password is for that one. However, under the Access-Control tab, we can change, or add, accounts. If I try to change the P/W for Support, I have to also enter in the "current" password ... which I obviously do not know.

I have tried some of the obvious. Thus I am hoping somebody has this DSL/Modem device and can help me out here.

5. user44

user44 Private E-2

nowadays, I figure that there could be entities or hackers who can also have the default P/W. I really don't want them easily gaining access to my measly home system, messing it up to a point where I can't figure out what to do and costing me hundreds of hours trying to fix it or even gain access to it.

It's my computer and I would like to think I control entry. Should I need 'support', I "might" tell them the new access-code. Anyway, all I want is to clean up the open-door that the modem has right now.

Besides, the dang thing routinely calls Windstream and it's not possible to take that section of code out of the saved xml config file.

6. allmightywest

allmightywest Private E-2

I don't know why people are so unhelpful, jezzzzzzz,
    anyway, to find out what the password for support is,
    goto the password page, right click it and select view source,
    you will see it. says there is a user, but I've never seen it.
    And you are correct, the little kid down the block can come in
    the back door of the 1704 if this is left unchanged, as for windstream
    support, lmao, rofl,fowl, I didn't know they had any.......good luck.
    Tom ;)

7. user44

user44 Private E-2

Thank you for the informative answer.

Yes, now I see "user" but, as you indicated, do not actually find a way to login as User nor change P/W in their Sagemon .

Will continue to pursue this though.

Note that, having not received a reply until now, I did a "save" in management area. It goes to the local hard drive. Then if you search for user .. you find interesting back.doors anyway.

So I changed the 'encrypted' P/W for support and reloaded the "backup"

A few days later got a call from windstream and wanted to know what the P/W was .. hmmmmmm

I told them no idea and the jerk was actually a far bit too pushy.

Next morning I wake up to find I am unable to use the DSL because the Modem could not log onto the DSLAM ... fancy that.

I had to open support ticket; talk to boiler-plate readers ; was told my password and login had been changed overnight at their end.

Seems no matter what you yo try they will change the login at their end.

So I told them it is my home; my computer; my LAN and I do as I please.

No comments forthwith followed.

So how do you think we find and delete "User" ??

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  8. allmightywest

allmightywest Private E-2

My first question to windstream is why they were contacting your modem.
    That's what I hate about windstream. I was like you, I should be able to
    keep who I ATTEMPT to keep out, even windstream techs...lol. They set free wifi up for friends and use your bandwidth, at least that's my theory. Wireless isn't secure as you think or wish it is.
    I use a Pantech 4G LTE Global USB Modem UML290 for my wireless needs,
    I let verizon worry about someone getting in my wifi. Don't know about that user, sounds like you know more than I, but its there and I guess it can be accessed or why have it there, funny it doesn't show up in the menu.
    Good luck with it, stay hardwired....lol Tom ;)

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Paranoid people are the ones who most often have stuff to hide, if you honestly feel like windstream people are out to share your wifi, well then, i guess i dont know what to say to that. The information that gets shared home is merely the connection logs btw, to see if your connection is dropping constantly.

10. user44

user44 Private E-2

May be true. Quite possibly you are right.

However, I found it annoying that a "Tech" person could access my, that's MY, modem and reset it so that I could not use it until I called Windstream.

In the day, most of us seriously respected the telco tech people. Now they have no management; their management-position has no management either.

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Having lived on the other side, i had millions of other things to do more important that choose random users modems to **** with, however, i do think that an isp should have the right to shut off infected computers/connections from there end in order to get a user to realize, oh hey, my internet disappeared maybe should i call and find out, oh my computeres infected? Thanks ill get it taken care of. I know isps are super evil and all but, yeah, id rather them take a proactive approach and get machines, including mine if im sending malicious traffic over the net.

12. user44

user44 Private E-2

OK. I'll concede that point to ya .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds