Differences between VB 6 and VB 2005?

Discussion in 'Software' started by closet haxzor, Aug 11, 2006.

1. closet haxzor

closet haxzor Private E-2

Hi, I have been kinda wondering about this because lately I have been spending time learning VB 6. I dident know 2005 was the newer Visual Basic. Now I feel like an idiot..

Is VB 2005 better than VB 6?

I really dont feel like starting over learning the 2005 VB since I am almost done learning VB 6..

thanks

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Where to start... ?

In my opinion VB.net is far far better than vb6 but its hard to compare the two of them really.

VB6 is a great 'com' language and does that well, Ocasionally unstable (don't try debugging an app that uses subclassing in the IDE ;) ) and vb.net is a an OO language.

In the future of things if you want to be a developer you will need to learn .net at some point whether it be c# or vb.net.

I could go on and on with the differences (and the similarites) but I think its best if you think of vb6 and vb.net as different languages and not as if vb.net is a newer version of vb6.

Again (and many people may disagree with me) .net is the current technology and if you wish to make a career in software devlopment is something you have no choice about learning, not necesarily vb but possibly c#

I'm sure Kodo will have many things to say on the subject and will be able to put it into a more understandable form than I have.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I couldn't find a job building anything in VB.. so I switched to C#.

You can't think of .NET as a language really. It's a framework that languages sit on top of.
    I'm with Matt, though, It's nearly impossible to list the differences suffice to say that .NET is a VASTLY superior framework than COM;

If you're going to learn a .NET language.. go C#.

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Well I'm mostly with you kodo lol, (KFT is in vb.net but I am switching to c# (and currently doing an MCSD using c#))

Hmm so actually I agree with you in its entirety.

(although theres not a lot you can't do in vb.net that you cant do in c# (as long as nobody mentions 'unsafe code' ;) )

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

well, you can't do anonymous delegates in VB.NET

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Ok I should probably have said, I've never found anything I can't do in vb that I can do in c# lol

7. closet haxzor

closet haxzor Private E-2

thanks for the info guys:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds