XP won't even start in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by SapnoKiRani, Nov 1, 2006.

1. SapnoKiRani

SapnoKiRani Private E-2

I set my dell dimension 3000 running Windows XP home ed to run scan disk at it's next start. But when we turned on the pc I got the blue screen with a message saying it's been shut down and if I keep getting the message to run chkdsk/f. Unfortunately, I can't even start the pc is safe mode, it always gives me the same blue screen and message STOP: 0X00000024

I tried using the recovery cd that came with the pc and it won't even boot from the cd.

Help :confused:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Could be ram ...could be the drive ....try removing all but one stick of ram ..reboot ....if good ...swap rem sticks ....reboot again and see if it is good ...if swapping ram doesn't work ...try finding the disc diagnositic tools for the hard drive off the internet and boot into the tools ...report back.

3. SapnoKiRani

SapnoKiRani Private E-2

Ok, I guess I have to wait until tomorrow. I'm not cracking the case on this, cause I don't do hardware:eek:

4. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

If you have a Windows XP CD (not the typical Restore disk with image), boot up with that and reply yes to the first repair prompt to get to the console. (Some computers are set up to dual boot that have a Repair Console option - if so select that).

Select the proper Windows directory (usually 1) and enter the Administrator password (usually blank - just press Enter). From the console prompt, type chkdsk /r and this will repair data files and scan for bad sectors.

When the scan completes, type exit to reboot.

5. SapnoKiRani

SapnoKiRani Private E-2

Thanks. I just have the recovery disk that came with the dell. I'm on my dell Inspiron laptop now. Would it be possible to make a boot disk from here?

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

If you just want to go ahead and restore, hit f2 to get in bios, and set first boot to cd-rom, but restore f11 is the most popular. But if i remember right dell is f11 and ctrl at the same time. ed

7. SapnoKiRani

SapnoKiRani Private E-2

Thanks tunered. I went the f2 route. Running chkdsk /r/f now.

Thanks a bunch! I don't know what I would do without you geeks:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds