Confused with networks

Discussion in 'Software' started by metroplex, Sep 18, 2006.

1. metroplex

metroplex Private E-2

Hello people i am new to PC network and i have some questions to ask and maybe some of you can help me out here..

1. What is a server and whats the difference from an online server for games.

2. Whats a Ping.

3. Can i play online games with copys or they have to be original discs, if so are there any free games?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

1: Server is where a multiplayer game is hosted. Online server for games could be a game browser to locate them.

2: Ping is the speed of your connection to a server. 0 is great, but impossible, so a 20-100 ms (milliseconds) ping is good. Anything over 100 ping and you could lose a lot because others have a jump on you, even if only at milliseconds.

3: Copies are illegal, unless it is your own copy, so we wont help you there. There are a lot of free games, depending on what type of game you want to play.

3. metroplex

metroplex Private E-2

hey thanks man that was helpfull! so i guess if i have a high ping and someone else has a low ping in a shoot em up game he has better chances over me? I think it is worth bying a legal copy for online gaming

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Definitely, not like it costs much is it!

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Correct on the ping assumption, little more info on ping.

Mike Muuss wrote the program in December, 1983, as a tool to troubleshoot odd behavior on an IP network. He named it after the pulses of sound made by a sonar, since its operation is analogous to active sonar in submarines, in which an operator issues a pulse of energy (a network packet) at the target, which then bounces from the target and is received by the operator.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds