XP Keyboard and mouse freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cindijim, Jun 16, 2008.

1. cindijim

cindijim Private E-2

I'm having problems with XP Keyboard and mouse freezing. I have a heck of a time getting the computer running after it happens. I have to just keep turning it on and off and then after awhile it will work. I also have to external hard drives. Seems like I remember something about this happening if you had externals but of course I can't remember where I saw it or what the fix was.

Any ideas?

Thank-you,
    Cindy

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you may have something wrong that is unrelated to the keyboard/mouse, but just making your system freeze... Conflicting drivers, bad memory, overheating issues are just a few things that could cause this...Are you able to get into windows at all? and when you do, do things freeze up no matter what? please be a little more specific...

3. cindijim

cindijim Private E-2

Yes I can get into windows eventually. By turning it on and off manually. I sometimes get a message when I'm trying to get to windows. It says "USBd"
    Keyboard Failure. I have been up and running since I sent in my question which is longer than I've been able to stay running since yesterday.

I'll get the opening window's page then it goes black and the curser is flashing in the upper left hand corner. The screen is black other than that. I can then hit ctrl, alt, delete and get the computer to start rebooting. Sometimes it will go the whole way to my desktop. Sometimes it doesn't. It may work for a little while or the mouse will freeze and all I can do is start over again to hopefully get it to run for awhile and try to figure out what's going on. I can't get into safe mode or where I can change the boot options when it's doing this.

I have gotten the blue screen 3 times in the past couple days.

No new drivers. I think the memory is okay but I can't say that for sure. Same with overheating.

After one of my reboots that worked I saw my Outlook express was going to where the mail is normally stored (My documents) instead of where I have it going which is to an external.

I hope this gives you more info to work with. Just ask for anything you need.

Thanks you for all your help.
    Cindy

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

can you disconnect any usb hardware you have and do you get the same occurances?

5. cindijim

cindijim Private E-2

I can get it to work normally if I disconnect one of the external hard drives. Doesn't matter which one.
    The mouse will just freeze where it is on the screen. I can't get the mouse to move the pointer anywhere. And the keyboard won't respond to anything either.
    I had this happen before but I can't remember the fix. It has to do with XP, (I don't know if it's both home and Pro) and external hard drives. I found the answer by Googling at that time. Naturally I can't remember where I found the answer. And dummy me didn't bookmark it.
    I'm continuing to try to find it but no luck so far. If I find the answer before we can figure it out, I'll e-mail it to you.
    I know I've reformatted since then.

Thank-you,
    Cindy

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

Im wondering if you can get updated chipset drivers for your motherboard, and if that might fix it.

7. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Have you tried using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard?

8. cindijim

cindijim Private E-2

I am using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. I have also tried other keyboards and another mouse. Same thing happens.

Cindy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds