Windows 8 can suck my.........

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atlantic44, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

I was "forced" to get a new laptop a few months ago and so far Win8 has been nothing but a big pain.

I got one with an i5 chip and a touch screen but I still can't stand it.

I now have this problem where the screen will flash on and off after a few minutes of use and then get worse and worse.

It is now completely unusable. So for the last few days I have been trying to restore and start over but everything I try fails.

First I tried to "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" but apparently it does not have a recovery partition because I upgraded to Win8.1 :tired

Then I installed the recovery files on my USB flash-drive but every-time I select that restore option the computer will just restart and go back to the recovery options........

Any help with this would be fantastic.
    Thank you

2. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

How to I restore windows 8?

Also I can't use an install disc because I don't have a disc drive.

Is there somthing obvious I'm missing here?
    I hope there is :(

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Aside from its broken, or a hardware problem?

Windows 8/8.1 is very stable.

Without a disc drive, I cannot think of a way to rebuild your refresh image.

4. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

If I connected an external drive through usb, could I reinstall windows?

My problems all started when I connected an external blu-ray drive by USB.
    Not sure if it's related though.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You could, but we could create an image and you could just use the refresh option. Saves a reinstall.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If you seriously hate Win 8 post your full computer specs and we may be able to get you up and running with Win 7. I had to do this on a few Asus gaming computers where people hated 8 and 8.1.

8. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Sorry for slightly off topic here, but there is nothing wrong with win 8.1 I was sceptical at first as I'm used to win 7 but now love win 8.1 the only downside i got with win 8.1 is that old games don't like win 8.1

9. FtMindr

FtMindr Private E-2

The fact that the screen is/was flashing on/off sounds to me like a hardware problem. If it's under warranty maybe take it back and see if the seller can fix it or replace it.

As for Windows 8x, I still don't like the Metro screen so, like many others, I've installed a free program called "Classic Shell" (CS). I'm quite happy with W8 now that it looks and feels like XP or W7 as I choose, and it has improvements as well. There are several programs like CS that will transform your experience of W8. They are either free or cost just a few dollars.

I hope your computing experience improves so you don't end up throwing that Laptop out the window (pun intended).

Cheers.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I really wish folks would read past the thread title and realize it was venting and not a rant session over Windows 8.

You can use the lounge for that.

11. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

I completely restored the computer but the screen still flashes, so it must be a hardware problem.

If I use it for longer then 10 minutes then it starts flashing, and it gets faster and faster :/

What do you think could be causing the problem?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Heat. Your video card and maybe CPU too are overheating.

13. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

Any good way to test those?

14. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

I was finely able restore but the screen still flashes when I log in and is getting worse.

My boss said it probably is the CPU failing.
    Is there anything I can do with this pos? Or should look at getting a new one?

15. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You should still be under warranty. Get it replaced.

16. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Agreed with JustPlayin'.

Still running W7, and it will have to be pried from my cold, dead SSD.

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Again, this thread is not about bashing Windows 8, so lets stop it with the irrelevant comments.

18. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

I did look into that when I first started having the problem, but of course it had none:-o (It only came with a 3 month warranty.....)

The weird part is that when the screen starts going off, it won't stop unless I go to the login screen. But as soon as I type in my password it goes right back...

So I restart the computer and it's fine for about 5-10 minutes then it starts again.

:confused:confused

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

An interesting test would to be to take the side off and point a high speed floor fan into it and see if it helps.

Edit: Ooops, this is a laptop.

Maybe a chill pad?
    http://targus.com/US/cooling

20. kennie

kennie Private First Class

I have a laptop with no cd/dvd rom as well... to reinstall or upgrade my OS I use two things:
    1 - thumb drive
    2 - Rufus - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/rufus.html

All you need is the ISO for the OS your installing and rufus will put it on the thumb drive so you can install it. It's rather a easy to do and after doing it a few times I rather prefer it over the DVD method.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds