Firefox 32.0.2 question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I have never noticed this before, just left of the refresh icon. You have to click it to get the dropdown. Seems to be a form of advertising not blocked by AdBlock Plus but what the heck is it doing in the address bar? :confused I certainly haven't visited either site in ages.

Attached Files:

2. Earthling

Just had a look at this in another computer and there it just offers three of my LAN IP addresses - I'd hardly call that advertising. Does anyone know what this is about or for?

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It appears to be a current session history. I clicked on that little triangle to the left of the refresh icon but, since this thread is the only thing I visited in this current tab, nothing else shows and the current address in the address bar became selected.

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I have the triangle in IE9. Sections are listed as -history and -favorites. Each has a dropdown tick mark that expands to a further list. I have probably 20 now in -history -all MG tabs and a few in Favorites -keyboard shortcuts MG. I do clean my cache often with CCleaner so it doesn't show earlier today or yesterday. Maybe yours is showing an old visit that has never been deleted or timed out or expired.

5. Earthling

Definitely not a current session history in my case. I haven't been near either of the sites in my pic, in fact I don't believe I have ever signed in to Adobe. Can't imagine what its purpose might be.

@ Imandy Mann seems it works differently in IE, maybe another way of calling up frequently visited sites.

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

According to Mozilla, it is the Location Bar History. Source

7. Earthling

OK, reading the Awesome Bar link in that post it starts to make a bit of sense. This is what it says -

The location bar, also called the URL bar or address bar, displays a site's web address (URL). We call it the Awesome Bar because it remembers those websites you've visited before, guesses where you're trying to go and displays a list of suggested sites you can choose from. The more you use it, the better it gets.

So if I type 'ma' in the address bar guess what it suggests first ;) and if I type 'll' up comes Lloyds Bank as top suggestion.

Now I understand it I do believe it might actually prove useful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds