CCleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by dcinq, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dcinq

dcinq Private E-2

Can anyone give me opinion of this program? Thanks

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Its a great program.

By far the best free cleanup utility out there.

I use it myself all the time and you will find that the majority of regulars on this board do too.

We also use it as part of our standard cleaning procedures when dealing with malware on the malware board.

Matt

PS: Make sure you get the Slim Version (No Yahoo Toolbar)

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have used it for a long time ...cleaner runs very well ...issues (saving backup in case) have never had to undo with a backup ....cleared a lot of crap in the registry from uninstalled stuff that came on my laptop preinstalled.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Re: CCleaner - Can anyone give me opinion of this program? Thanks << dcinq

CCleaner is a very useful program. It's always been available as freeware; which means you can use it forever; free of any charge. This program is both thorough and safe to use; which is very rare for such "cleaner" utilities.

The programs interface is intuitive incredibly easy to use; as well as configure. It very easily and quickly removes numerous "no longer necessary" and "unused' files from your system as well as cleansing any traces of online activities from your Internet history, thereby letting the PC to run faster and freeing up precious hard disk space.

It is especially helpful for anyone who installs/reinstalls or removes programs on a regular basis. It has several options like removing registry entries that go nowhere and works wonders removing other various program 'leftovers' that are obsolete, or aren't listed in Add/Remove after you attempt to uninstall programs and utilities.

There are some other terrific programs out there, don't get me wrong. But there are few (if any) available as freeware which safely clean your internet tracks as well as the Windows registry and a few other odds and ends.
    I guess the best thing I can think of to say about CCleaner is that if you do a "search" use any search engine; you will wear your eyes out trying to find any "valid" major (or even minor) complaints or bad reviews about this program anywhere on the web! ;)

Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

CCleaner is a MUST HAVE.

Temp file Cleaner
    Registry Cleaner
    Startup Manager
    Program Uninstaller - Can anyone confirm the rumour that CCleaner acts as a wrapper for uninstallers, enumerating all temp files/registry keys the program sets, and deletes them?

All fully customizable, all in one lightweight package.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Everyone goes head over heels in love with CCleaner. I use it every day and recommend it as do the others that have posted earlier. But it does not find everything.

I use it in conjunction with 3 others.

Cleaners.
    Download/install and run all 4. All are free and don't conflict with each other.
    Each finds stuff the other 3 miss. Believe me.:D

Cleanup! http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4895.html

CrapCleaner, aka CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

EmptyTemp Folders http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575

and MRU_Blaster
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/MRU-Blaster_d4184.html

as a 4 pronged attack on stuff accumulated after every net session.

EmpTemp is not difficult to use, but certainly not as easy as CC or Cleanup!

It has to be done manually, as follows:
    (1). It starts up showing the Temp Folders tab. If any programs are listed, just click on the lightning bolt and they will be removed.
    (2). Next click on Cookies, History, URL tab and then on "show all" tab (far left icon on second row). Click on lightning bolt to remove all.
    (3). Next click on "Find tmp files" tab. Click on appropriate Hard drive designation. I usually only click on C: as my others are for backup purposes. It will then check for all temp (tmp) files. It may take a while. If it lists any files, click on lightning bolt, far left one.
    This will remove all tmp files (except 2 that cannot be removed).
    (4). Then click on "Clipboard and Shortcuts" tab and then click on that is the far left one, in the centre group of 4. This will list all clipboards and shortcuts and then check to see of they are all valid and unbroken. If it finds any broken ones, click on the lightning bolt and they will be gone.
    (5). Then close down program, click on X, top right of screen.

This takes longer to write about it, than it does to do.
    But it is another arrow to your bow, in keeping your PC ticking over. Bazza.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds