ZoneAlarm Free

Discussion in 'Software' started by douglas.cook7, Nov 13, 2006.

1. douglas.cook7

douglas.cook7 Private E-2

True Vector stops working almost every other day. Help in ZoneAlarm has been not help. I think uTorrent might be the cause but not sure. It gives the option to debug but no results to help. It debugs and then shuts down ZoneAlarm. So far, I have had to restart the system each time to get ZoneAlarm back online. I would appreciate any help.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

First, do you have the latest version of ZA, version 6.5.737.000?

3. douglas.cook7

yes, I have 6.5.737.000

4. bjgarrick

The first thing I would try is to uninstall ZA by using Your Uninstaller! 2006 5.0.0.256. Once this is complete I would download a fresh copy, reinstall and see how it runs.

If it still has problems then there is third party applications causing conflicts. This could be malware, another firewall application, or anything so we will have to narrow down the options.

I would try to uninstall using YU and a fresh reinstall first though. Start easy and dig deeper if necessary.

Good Luck!:)

5. douglas.cook7

bjgarrick,

I hope you can assist. By the way, my former hunting buddy lives outside of Madison, in Athens. Moved there from NC because the deer are bigger and the fishing is hot.

6. douglas.cook7

Thank you. I will download Your Uninstaller and start fresh with ZoneAlarm. Will check in again in a few days and let you know. Thanks again and enjoy the season.

7. bjgarrick

Yeah the whitetail here at very nice, I already have two this season. :)

8. bjgarrick

I'll check back in a bit and see if this works.

9. douglas.cook7

ZoneAlarm will not reinstall. I am getting an error message.

10. douglas.cook7

Below is the error message:

Setup is unable to login to TrueVector service. Install can not continue w/o logging in to TrueVector service.

Please use the service manager to shut down TrueVector service then restart installer again.

11. bjgarrick

If you have uninstalled, click start > run > type services.msc.

Locate "TrueVector Internet Monitor", click stop if it isn't already and then set it to disabled.

Exit Services and do the below.

Click Start > run > type in cmd

Type in the below exactly as it appears:

sc delete vsmon

Press enter, reboot and try to install again.

12. douglas.cook7

Thanks. ZoneAlarm Free has been reinstalled. I will watch and let you know if TrueVector Services gives me any more problems. Have a great hunting season:) Well, if folks like me give you time to get away.

13. bjgarrick

I will check back to see if it gives you anymore problems.

I'll make time for hunting & fishing ;)

14. douglas.cook7

Well, my problem with TrueVector is back. I am going to try the same process again, but this time download ZoneAlarm free from there website. Whqat do you think?

15. bjgarrick

If the problem came back then something is causing it. Have you ran anything malware cleaners as this could be a possibility?

16. douglas.cook7

17. douglas.cook7

No new malware. Just what Major Geeks recommends for starters. I chose MS Windows Defenderand Spybot:

18. douglas.cook7

Nothing new. On another topic. What do you recommend for a browser? I have both firefox and IE 7.0 I run XP and I don't know if it makes a difference that I am in Slovakia. My ISP is T-Com Slovakia. I did start using Utorrent about 3-4 weeks ago. I download old TV Shows and a move each week for my girls. Not much entertainment for my teen and pre teen girls.

19. douglas.cook7

It is a no go. Can not reinstall ZoneAlarm. Can you help me get free of ZoneAlarm and recommend another freeware Firewall that is effective and will work with uTorrent? Thanks.

20. bjgarrick

I use IE7 and Firefox 2.0, both are good browsers.

21. bjgarrick

If you still have it installed use Your Uninstaller! again to uninstall.

You should see this article on How to Protect yourself from malware!

22. douglas.cook7

Thanks. I think ZoneAlarm is gone. I followed your previous directions. Funny, I don't have any problems with ZoneAlarm on my laptop. I will keep it on my laptop for now and just change my desktop firewall. I also installed sygate personal firewall on my desktop. I will see how it workks for a few days. I will also read the article on malware. I have downloaded what MajorGeeks recommends several months ago on your getting started area.

Thanks.

23. douglas.cook7

How do I do this? 1)If you do have a router with a firewall, make sure you enable it. 2)And also password protect your router, especially if it is a wireless router. So if you use a wireless router, you can help enhance the security of your network by enabling the firewall and by requiring a password to connect to your network. Make sure you also enable encryption on your wireless network.
    My router is a Vigor 2600VGST by Dray Tech. I have my desktop connected to it and my laptop is wireless.

24. bjgarrick

Even though your router has a firewall you need to have software firewalls installed on any computer that accesses the internet.

Your router will have a default password, it should be "admin" with no username. You can change this by accessing the router settings by typing in "192.168.1.1". Enter the password and go into the settings. Once in here change the password to make it more secure. Also, once in settings go into "Wireless Settings" and security and add a WPA Pre-Shared Key.

Your router should have an instruction manual that explains this in detail. If you need any help with this post in the Networking Forum.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds