Radeon X1950 vs Radeon HD 3850

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EXOX3, Dec 18, 2009.

1. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Which of the 2 cards is better?

Radeon X1950 Pro AGP 8x
    or
    Radeon HD 3850 PCI Express

I have both cards, the X1950 was in my old setup until the board, memory fried ASRock 775Dual-VSTA, so I bought a new board Asus P5ND2 SLI Deluxe, which only has PCI Express, so I bought the HD 3850, my machine has a 64-Bit CPU but I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 32-Bit, also it has 4GB Memory but windows only see's 3GB, I want this machine for the Internet, Games and burning.

Is it a decent setup? My son has a Asus P4T Mainboard, will the HIS X1950 AGP8x Work in his machine? a mate said something about the Radeon requires 3v, where most AGP old boards are 1.5v, is this correct? if so can it be changed via BIOS?

My machine seems to be kicking along just nicely so I am very reluctant to touch it, but since I now have a spare AGP Radeon X1950, I wouldn't mind putting it in my sons machine to see how it goes?

Kindest Regards,

David

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

the 3850 is much better.

i think the other card would work in his pc as long as the PSU has enough power.

3. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

I am tempted to try the X1950 in my sons PC with the Asus P4T Mainboard, but I need to get an adapter first, so it can fit a CRT Monitor, I am using the Adapter on my HD 3850 at the moment, I also have a broken HIS Radeon, but trying to get a RMA via HIS Digital is like trying to get blood out of a stone, I have written to them about it a number of times and have since recieved nil feedback regarding it.

Cheers,

David

4. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

The bung card I also have is a HIS 3870 X2 PCIExpress videocard, except it requires 2x 6 Pin connectors from memory, apparently it works in windows but as soon as you try a 3D Game, wham, I think it has been overclocked further than factory defaults, unsure.

And the HIS X1950 AGP8x Card I have, was in my new machine I got last week, except the whole comp would lockup when I played a game for around 15 to 20 minutes, Sometimes it would even lockup in windows, however as of a couple of days ago, I shut the system down in the morning and when I woke up later that day I turned it on and nothing would work, the power led came on, but that was it, no fan movement on the CPU fan or chasis fans, I took the comp back to the guy I bought it from then a couple of hours later he called me saying the board was blown, memory not working, apparently the PSU was fine, and the hard drive that was in it I am using now and it is working fine, he thinks it was a surge, I honestly believe it has something to do with the videocard, but that is why I am slightly reluctant to put it in my sons PC, as I don't have a spare mainboard with RDRAM, or a spare mainboard at all. the CPU's in my old PC and the PC that stopped working during the week, which was a 2.8 Pentium D, and a 1.8 Dual Core CPU apparently work, so I will see about getting them back and maybe buying a cheap socket 775 mainboard and use it for my sons PC.

If it was a surge, wouldn't it affect the PSU? the reason I think it was the videocard was becuase it would hard lock the comp during gameplay, and sometimes even in windows itself, reset switch wouldn't work, I had to physcially switch the power off, leave it for a bit, then turn it back on.

But it's strange that the CPU is fine, HDD fine, just the memory and mainboard, apparently the card was very sensative to, and bent the AGP slot becuase of the weight, so it needed extended support, so I layed the tower case on its side, as I didn't want to open it up and have to re-seat it, just incase I did any damage, but it ended up being damaged anyway! :cry

So I started off last payday with a ASRock 775Dual-VSTA, 2GB memory, 1.8GHz Dual Core CPU, Radeon X1950 that was faulty, paid for that, then that blew up the Mainboard and memory somehow, Now I have forked out another $120 + $150 = $270 for Asus P5ND2 SLI Deluxe Mainboard, 3.6GHz 64-Bit CPU, 4GB Memory, Radeon HD 3850, New Case.

I swapped PSU's with the guy I bought it from, as I didn't want to have to change anything just incase something got damaged! So all up I`ve forked out by Wednesday $520, I have only the shoddy case, dvd drive from my old setup, and the videocard, which I`ll try and get an RMA on, won't hold my breath though, HIS don't seem to be in any rush for customer support, I`ll see about getting my 2 Processors back, and the bung memory.

Cheers,

David

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds