Custom PC Assembly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ANHEDONIC, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

This is just a hypothetical... How much would u guys estimate it to cost, if i were to take computer parts I ordered off of Newegg to a PC Shop and ask them to assemble it all for me?

I know I know, everyone says it's so easy to build your own pc, but I've never done anything more than insert new RAM or install a video card... I don't want to be "experimenting" with assembly with $1000+ worth of computer parts... Also, if something fails to install properly, I would not know how to trouble shoot it... And as you know, it can be very difficult to get hardware support off forums when the people helping you aren't physically able to see what the parts and problem at hand...

I'm not really in the market for a new PC yet, but in the future I will be. I don't want to spend extra amounts of money on a preassembled PC.

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

dont think that pc shops will asemble a pc for you if yo bought off new egg, plus you would still be paying for em to asmble it for you. which would defeat the purpose of not paying extra cash for a preasembly.

3. ANHEDONIC

well from what i gather off people on forums... ordering your own parts individually and installing them yourself can save you anywhere from say $300-$500 (that's just a guestimate).... so if a local PC place would only charge me say $150 to assemble it all, i'd still be saving money...

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

best thing would be to goto a few local pc stores and see how much they will charge you, TBH if you have installed ram and GFX card then you are 50% into building your own pc.... the main bit is installing the CPU, but if you take your time and read up on some of the building guides on the net beforehand I would be suprised if ou couldnt do it yourself.

I thought the same when i built my first pc.... again like you I had spend near £1200 on parts but decided it was time to do it myself.... never looked back since.

but if you decide against building yourself then thats ok too.... best to pick the best option for yourself.

good luck in whatever option you choose :)

some guides to look through tho, just in case ;)
    http://www.pcmech.com/build.htm
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/guides/build_computer/
    http://www.buildeasypc.com/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/

5. ANHEDONIC

thanks for the recommended links Halo... my main problem is confidence... i don't have alot of confidence in doing things i've never done (or seen done) before... i'd just feel much more comfortable letting someone who knows they they're doing, put everything together...

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

any friends built their own pc's? maybe they could show you some steps, or also on the friends thing maybe some of them have had a pc built locally and could recomend a pc shop? ( quick warning.... even tho you take your parts to a local shop it still doesnt mean that they will do a good job? in everything there are good and bad pc builders )

that said as I mentioned see if fiends/reletives have had a pc built and can recomend someone.

Do read the links as I think you could do this as you have installed hardware before with no problems?? but if your not happy doing it then I woundnt blame you for choosing not too as it can be a scary thing.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you were in the Indiana area, I'd put it together for you, as long as you don't tell my work! ;)

Most computer shops will put these computers together, at least my work does. If it is just the computer and not the OS, it would probably run you about $50 to $75.

It all depends if you want a quick job, or a job where they spend time routing cables and such to maximize air flow. That part takes a bit of time. Especially if it is parts the individual is not familiar with. The components we use, I can do a fairly professional job. Just don't look at my own computer, since it is a continuous work in progress.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

How about the halfway ground adhonic,instead of letting someone else build it,do it yourself,if something goes wrong or you cant understand why it wont boot,then take it to a pc store to let them troubleshoot it,after they have tested all the parts and told you the harddrive is bad ect pay them thier $50 "or whatever price you can get a diagnosis for"rma the harddrive install it and try again.

It reminds me of when I used to ride dirtbikes,it was an expensive hobby,but if you didnt know how to fiw your own bike,it cost a fortune.

[​IMG]

9. N5638J

N5638J Guest

y'all are lucky if i needed the pc store in this town to do anything it would cost $85 a hour[​IMG] and half the time i don't think they know what they are doing[​IMG] so it might be best to DIY that way you know everything you bought is init and after doing it yourself you will know your way around a pc inside and out;)

rikky i know what your talking about there. if i took my 2 classic 3-wheelers to the shop every time they made a weird noise i would be homeless so i fix them myself and so i save a ton of money and so if you do it yourself you will save some money and you will know how to do it next time you feel a need for a upgrade or something;)

10. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

If it makes you feel any better...I built my first computer in one weekend!! I had never done anything AT ALL before that as far as reading or working on hardware!! I just simply dove in head first, blind as a bat!!! Between the motherboard manual and the online forums...I pulled through it coming out like a bandit!!

If it would give you a little more confidence...then arrange with someone here that is firmiliar with your hardware you buy, to sit tight on the forum, and walk you through it hand in hand!! Surely to god there is bound to be someone here that will hang out with you, while you build!! I know I would if you do it at the right time, and i'm firmiliar with the hardware you buy!!!!

If you have any bit of an imagination and are somewhat mechanically inclined...then I have no doubt you will do just fine, and you will probably enjoy it!!

Just think of all that you will know after you get finished...it kind of becomes an addiction!!! Atleast for me anyway!!

Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds