Factory Reset Computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matt.A, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Matt.A

Matt.A Private E-2

Ok, so I have a DELL Inspiron 4600 that I recently got off a friend. Problem is
    a) its packed full of old programs and stuff that arn't needed
    b) it has a virus that is proving difficult to remove

My solution was to factory reset it except the CTRL + F11 trick comes up with
    "Boot normally"
    "Windows Recovery Tool"

From my understanding normal boot won't help me and the second one requires the XP disc.
    I basically have no CD's that I apparently need (my friend swears he didnt receive any as he usually keeps them) and the DELL website only seems to have a US page to order the CD's (im in England).

Is there any way to factory reset the computer without them or even a English page to order these CD's or whatever I need to do really.
    Thanks in advance
    (I was directed here from Malware removal and the posts related to this don't seem to help so I hope this is in the right place)

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Pretty well any Dell XP disk will do for a reinstall. (Ask around your friends) Just input the key from the sticker on the side of your 4600.

These disks don't look like standard XP (they're not) they are called

Recovery Disk - Operating system

There is a second one called

Recovery Disk - Drivers and Utilities

The second one can be downloaded free from Dell.

These disks don't require activation as they recognise a Dell machine.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

This is how you restore a Dell to factory settings. This deletes all user created content so back-up your stuff:

Dell guidelines: http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4&doclang=en&cs=
    Dell guidelines: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19243206/19375518.aspx#19375518

When you're done you visit Microsoft Update several times in order to get various service packs and other updates. It's not possible to get it all at once. Windows Installer usually fills up and can't proceed. But then you just run Dial-a-fix and/or reinstall Windows Installer and continue.

Dial-a-fix:http://majorgeeks.com/Dial-a-fix_Full_d4899.html
    Windows Installer 4.5: http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/...6f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

How to use Dial-a-fix:

1. Click the button "Flush Software distribution"
    2. Say yes and wait
    3. Put check marks in "Fix Windows update"
    4. Click GO

Let it run. Reboot.

4. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

As I have previously said in another thread, preloaded MS Windows versions are usually much more problematic than original, fresh installations, not only do that have crap files and folders and settings, but they come with 20GB worth of crap programs to slow down your computer. I'm working on a clients computer right now that is a preload of one of the first Vista versions, its got intermittent startup issues and its not Hware. Always avoid using your recovery partition, if you can use a genuine, original MS Windows disc. If you have no other choice but, then I guess you have to.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is not the problem with going this route that the PC owner needs to buy a retail or new OEM + Licence as the likes of the DELL, HP etc OEM licence is not transferable or works with retail?

Whereas if restore with original OEM restore partition or CD/DVD is prefereable to many at home and the suggestion then to run PC Decrapifier to remove the junk is an alternate to spending more money as it helps you remove the junk although if you just go through Add/Remove manually you can uninstall anything thats not going to be used or needed.

6. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Agreed Halo ... however there are programs that remove OEM coding for our more experienced users :major :p, but I do agree Halo, the option you stated is definitely more user friendly ... I was simply making a point that if it can be avoided ... its best to do so, because no matter how many times yu run CCleaner, with the reg cleaner and De-Crapifier, theres still going to be some reg entries and the like left behind ... plus Pre-loaded versions often come with unnecessary files, folders and bugs ... I was working on a brand new Toshiba Satellite L300 the other day that for some reason had shortcuts to all of the folders in the XP files system, e.g. Documents and Settings etc etc ...

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You will make at least as much work finding, downloading and installing all the necessary drivers as you would decrapping the OEM restore.

Have you ever restored a recent Dell or 'upgraded' it from Vista to XP the Dell way?
    It's a dream.

8. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

not a Dell no, but a Toshiba recently yes ... and its a nightmare lol ... if its driver issues your'e having there are Driver Backup tools that can back-up all installed drivers on your machine and reinstall them as a whole when you need them

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds