Symantec Corp 10.0 Full Scan not full scanning??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mopar McNeer, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Mopar McNeer

Mopar McNeer Private E-2

Windows XP Pro - Symantec Corp Edition Anti-Virus 10.0 (unmanaged computer)
    I noticed this weekend that one of our computers finished a "full scan" in about 5 minutes. Upon further investigation, I noticed that it had only scanned 25,xxx Files. I knew that this was not right as it had usually scanned 150,000 + files and takes about 45 minutes. I first checked the old Logs. I found that 8/11/09 was the last time that it scanned 150k + files. After that date, the log showed the Scheduled Full Scans as only scanning approx 25k files.

I tried google searching this issue with only a few hits of similar issues, but no solutions. I checked here on MG for answers and found nothing.

I have Malwarebytes (full version), SUPERAntiSpyware (full version), and Spybot all set to run nightly along with my Symantec, at different times. I went ahead and ran them all again anyway...all clean, no issues.

I ran CCleaner and Auslogics (one button clean up) to fix any disk errors, clean up the registry, and defrag.

I ran the Symantec "full scan" again, same result.

I uninstalled Symantec using the Add/Remove programs menu. Reinstalled it from the Install Disc and updated it. No change, same result.

I then tried the Manual Uninstall Procedure for 10.0. Followed every step, deleted all the appropriate registry entires, then ran CCleaner to clean up the registry. Installed 10.0 from the Install Disc. Same result, no change.

I uninstalled Symantec again and installed AVAST. All files were scanned and not issues found. I then uninstalled that and tried Trend Micro, same thing-scanned all files, no issues found. Uninstalled it and reinstalled Symantec.

Tried the MG XP Clean up. Followed it step by step, ran the suggested programs and saved the appropriate logs. No issues found.

I checked all the rest of the computers at my work and found that 5 others were running this "partial" Full Scan, so it wasn't just a one-machine issue. But we have 15 other machines that are fine.

The only thing I can think of that relates all these machines is that these 5 machines have all be wiped (or are new) within the last 12 months. But up until mid August, they all functioned properly and the FULL Scan option had always worked fine.

I called Symantec's Tech line and spoke with the level 1 tech. After searching, she had no advice (over and above what I had already tried) and could not transfer me to level 2 (aka: open a case) because my companies support program was expired (as of May 2008).

The computers function fine, they are all up-to-date and are scanned daily with Symantec AV, Malwarebytes, Spybot, & SUPERAntiSpyware. But having Symantec only scan 25k files worries me.

Any help would be great. I'm stumped. :confused

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi mopar :)

Try disabling all security/anti-malware/anti-spyware app's except your AV and Firewall and then run the scan.

Q

3. Mopar McNeer

Mopar McNeer Private E-2

Turned off Malwarebytes & SUPERAntiSpyware realtime protection functions, Made sure Spybot SDhelper and Teatimer weren't running. Ran another scan, same result, no change. Still only scanning about 25k files.

It seems like the "Full Scan" is more like a start up scan or quick scan. I double checked to make sure that I had no files being excluded. Nothing was changed or modified.

Any other suggestions?

4. Mopar McNeer

Mopar McNeer Private E-2

I messed around more with it last night. It appears that the "Full Scan" is nearly identical to the "Start-Up" Scan and "Quick" Scan. It starts by "Scanning memory. load points, and security risks". Then when it would normally start scanning all the files on the C: drive, it scans a few documents in the "My Documents" folder and thats it. Finishes at about 25k files.

I do see where the scan will hit several items that read "Unknown DetectionAction" in the scan window.

It has only affected the computers that had newer installs (within the last 12 months), and not any of our other computers running 10.0. I'm not exactly sure why all of a sudden those machines had the "Full Scan" turn into "Quick Scan"???

The machines are all updating using Live Update just fine.

Help?

5. Mopar McNeer

Mopar McNeer Private E-2

Any ideas as to why the "Full Scan" acts like a "Quick or Startup" Scan?

Is it just a coincidence that this happened on all the machines that had Symantec reloaded on it within the last 9-12 months??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds