win 8.1 and boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by p060477, Apr 27, 2015.

1. p060477

p060477 Private First Class

hi!

i've this mobo:
    http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-z97(h97)-hd3_e.pdf

at its pag 17 you see my bios

i'd like to have,as on my previous xp, a boot sequence:

1) cd dvd drive
    2) win boot manager (win 8-1 my acctual s.o)

if i try this now i'm only able to boot if in my cd dvd drive there is a bootable cd or dvd , if no it appears ntldr missing ..

on my old xp if there was no cd in it try boot from the 2nd chanche: the s.o
    and it booted xp..

why i'm not able to do so in my new win 8-1..?

i've always and only to put it as 1st in the boot sequence in order to be able
    to boot..

could you pls help me..??!!

cheers!!

:)

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

ntldr is a Windows XP boot file which should not exist at all in Win 8.1. How did you install Win 8.1? Was it by installing it to a machine that already had XP installed?

3. p060477

on my pc i've also an odl hd with xp inside but not installed or in dual boot..
    it was my odl hd with c\windows and other files that i've inside my new pc with a new hdd,gpt,1tb with win 8.1 installed..

4. Earthling

The pic in your other thread is helpful. If the system was mine I would reformat the GPT drive as an MBR drive and reinstall 8.1. It will then be a simple matter to set the boot sequence the way it was in your XP. GPT will become better known in time but right now you will find help with GPT disks harder to come by.

5. p060477

to format is the only thing i avoid..is there any other way..??

cheers!

6. Earthling

I'm sure there is, but I wouldn't know it.

7. Earthling

8. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

@Earthling,

The instructions in the link you give the OP state that the GPT disk must be entirely unallocated before converting to MBR. This would mean deleting his/her 8.1 and everything else on that GPT disk and I don't believe he/she wants to do that, especially when "to format is only thing I avoid" is stated.

9. p060477

i think you are right..! :)

so apart of format there is no way to have the sequence i post in boot my new win 8.1..?..what a pity..

10. Earthling

Yeah, we were already shutting up shop for the night and I didn't take the time to read the tutorial first. Sorry 'bout that.

11. Earthling

@p060477 - In this thread two ppl succeeded in converting GPT to MBR without losing Windows or anything else. There are references to software I'm not familiar with but you might want to go into it further yourself.

12. Earthling

The references are -

BIBM - TeraByte's Bootit Bare Metal

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

IFW - TeraByte's Image for Windows

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

Neither program is free but I suspect there will be free equivalents that could be used, depending on your level of expertise.

13. p060477

thxs!

but suppose that i will be able to..,and i'm not so skill..,
    then i will have an mbr disk..but then i will be sure that the sequence i want will work..?
    i see that the mbr in win 8.1 is really diff from xp..no ntldr..no boot.ini etc..
    so probably i will get a worst part,mbr instead of gpt, and no boot at all..

14. Earthling

I know one or two of the contributors to the Wilders thread I linked you to and they are true experts. As we aren't getting any new contributors to this thread you might want to see what help you can get by enrolling there.

15. p060477

thxs so much for yr kind helping and patience too!

16. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

The main issue I see it that this is a UEFI BIOS. You either have legacy support with CSM and SecureBoot disabled, or you have SecureBoot enabled and boot strictly from the hard drive with Windows 8. You cannot have both. Pretty much every other bootable device besides a hard drive is considered legacy when dealing with Windows 8.

If you want to boot to a CD/DVD-ROM you will need to set the CSM to enabled, and make sure the setting is reflected inside the Windows 8 OS as well.

17. the mekanic

Also, refer to page 25-26 of your manual for additional settings.

18. p060477

first thxs so much indeed!

so you confirm that what was possible with my old pc wit xp that was to have this sequence:
    1° cd dvd
    2° hd with s.o ,xp in that case
    and if there was no cd bootable in the drive the system was able to
    boot easly from the hd with xp in

is really not possible with my new pc and win 8.1
    cause if there is no cd bootable in the dvd drive
    the system really is not able to boot from
    win 8-1

cheers!

19. the mekanic

No, that's not what I said. It is possible to have the boot order you want.

You need to enable CSM if your ROM drive does not support UEFI. In the BIOS, it will indicate if it does or not in the device listing. There are basically two modes, CSM enabled with legacy support and no SecureBoot, ~OR~ CSM not enabled with SecureBoot enabled and strictly booting from the HDD.

As I said refer to the aforementioned pages in your manual and read them CAREFULLY. Actually start at page 24, and read Section 2-4 CAREFULLY. Especially the part about Storage Boot Control.

:major

20. p060477

thxs again indeed!

i've read carefully..BUT..there is no way..i tried -all- combinations..
    my CD ROM drive has not the UEFI prefix in the device list..
    i enable CSM and try everything..

if i put 1° cd drive 2°win boot man and there is no cd bootable in
    i got ntldr missing and no boot at all..

where is my fauult..??!!

thxs for yr kind patience!!

cheers!

21. mdonah

I have an "older" laptop computer that I am able to choose to boot from Windows 8.1 installed on a USB connected hard drive OR Windows Vista installed on my main "C" drive OR Windows XP installed on a modular (optical) bay hard drive.

I used EasyBCD (available here at Major Geeks) installed on my Windows 8.1 drive and added Vista and XP to the boot choices. When I start my computer, I'm presented with a boot menu from which I can choose which version of Windows I want to launch.

When my USB connected Windows 8.1 hard drive isn't present, I have EasyBCD installed on my main "C" drive as well so that I can choose to launch either Vista or XP.

It has worked flawlessly to this point.

22. p060477

thnxs!

but i only want to know if my previous sequence was suitable also in my new pc..

cheers!

23. mdonah

Once EasyBCD is installed on your 8.1 drive, it should detect the other drive with XP installed. Simply add XP as a new entry and you should be able to choose between 8.1 and XP whenever you restart your computer.

24. p060477

thxs so much indeed!

but my aim is not to have a sort of dual booting...i've only one s.o installed on pc: win 8.1

i only would like to re-have working my previous bootsequence:

1° cd dvd drive
    2° s.o. installed, in my actual case:win 8.1

cheers!

25. mdonah

OK. Thanks for clarifying exactly what you want to do. :)

In order to be able to boot from the CD/DVD drive first and then your O.S. installed on the hard drive, you need to go into Setup in the UEFI (BIOS) and change the boot type from UEFI - secure boot enabled to Legacy - secure boot disabled and save the changes. If you don't, the computer will only boot from the hard drive. You won't be able to boot from a CD/DVD until you make that change.

26. p060477

hi and thxs!

i've made the change..but no way..that is really not the matter cause if i enabled or disable secure boot the issue do not change..:

if there is no cd boot in the cd drive i always got ntldr missing..no way to boot win 8.1..so
    i repeat is impossible to have the sequence:

1 cd vdv drive
    2 win boot man.

cheers!!

:) :(

27. Earthling

This is the problem, as I said right back in post #2. The disk has at some point had XP installed, and some part of its boot loader still exists in track 0. There is no other way that message about ntldr could appear. In the days that have passed since then you could, as I suggested, have reformatted the disk as MBR and reinstalled 8 and this problem would be history.

28. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

29. p060477

thxs!

i'm not so skill...
    and reading all the replies here i'm so sure that likely wont solve
    probably i will have to first change the gpt to mbr..
    but if that is the only way i prefer to click f12 at start and choose the proper boot in case of need..

cheers!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds