Netflix

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nedlamar, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Does anyone else have netflix?

I am in Canada and have Netflix through a Samsung BD-D5500.

Is it just me or is this Netflix really slow?
    I mean sometimes it takes ages, I mean minutes to load the thumbnails for the shows/movies.
    And sometimes will crash or constantly lock up like it's buffering, and sometimes it keeps buffering.

I have more than enough bandwidth and speed to run this 24/7 at top quality and still be able to game online (although a little sluggish lol)

Most of the time it plays fine, but it's always been slow loading the menus.

Is this possibly the software my player uses? Or do you guys experience the same thing.
    It's really starting to annoy me, although I'm kind of annoyed right now anyway, but this has just annoyed me more :major

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok so I was reading some stuff and people talking about connection speeds etc are low, well I thought I could see what mine is like through the player.
    No menu option for that, "No problem" I thought, I'll just use the smart hub and google a speed test. You know since the guy explained that the smart hub allows you to freely browse the internet.

Lets just say my blood pressure is abnormally high right now.
    It's the player, it has to be, just switching menus and trying to type in searches is painfully slow and......... I can't get google, only certain websites. Not exactly what I'd call "Freely browsing the net"
    Then it tells me the connection has been lost, yet here I am posting away on my laptop while my girl is happily chatting on the desktop.

My left eye is twitching slightly.

Edit: I really wish I had gone with my gut and just bought a PS3 for $80 more, I never listen to my gut and it's right 99.762% of the time, why don't I listen to my gut?

Dammit.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hey Ned

We use Netflix all the time. The kids have used it through the wii downstairs and I use it through a Roku device. I've never had an issue with the streaming speed so it's definitely your player.

4. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I was getting Netflix through a Panasonic DMP_BD75 BluRay Player. I thought it was really slow. Just like you said, pausing frequently and slow to load thumbnails. I also found that Netflix would frequently freeze requiring me to restart the player by unplugging it's power cord. My son uses a Wii and has none of the slowness I do.

I finally setup a PC with Xbox Media Center (XBMC) on it and that works well, not for netflix but for the other content available through add on programs like Navix.

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

@Cab... It's not the setting, like I said I have more than enough to cope with it's HD streaming, it's the menu's. Also you can't tell the difference? man I can, I think the low quality looks horrendously pixelated.

@shnerdy... Yeah I remembered seeing my boy use it on his PS3 when he came a couple of weekends ago, it worked perfectly fast on that, had forgotten about it. So it seems that unless you spend like $400 ona Blu Ray player, the netflix part of it will be garbage.

7. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Well I get my HD TV next week, so we'll see.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  8. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

We have Netflix, and stream it through a Wii and XBox 360 - never had an issue with it being slow, but both those devices have hardwired connections.

Recently bought a Vizio Tv with wireless. It connects fairly well to my wireless router, but at times Netflix is very slow to load and some titles show up "Not Available" now and then. It's not that frequent though. If it becomes an aggravation I'll hardwire the TV and see if that fixes the issue.

Since your device is hardwired, and your other devices don't have the issue, I'd suspect the device and/or its software is at fault. Just seems logical.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  9. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I forgot to mention that my BD player is hard wired. The whole Netflix interface is run in JAVA which is what I think makes it so slow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds