Help choosing RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by niceandspicy999, Aug 6, 2007.

1. niceandspicy999

niceandspicy999 Private E-2

I'm lost in a fog of information & need some help! I don't understand ddr and sdram and ecc and non-ecc and blah blah.

I ran a scan on crucial.com which listed my RAM as PC1300 256MB with no available upgrade found. The sticker on my ram says differently. Basically I want to upgrade to a decent amount of RAM either by replacing or adding to what I have. I have 2 spare slots.

The sticker on my RAM says PC2100U-25330
    Model is HYMD 232646A8-H , listed here

I basically would like to know what do I need to upgrade to & what to avoid.
    Thanks for any help!

2. niceandspicy999

Can anyone help out?

3. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

Why do you want more ram? what do you use your computer for? That is pretty old ram and there isn't TOO much you can do about upgrading.....

also can we get the spec on your system? especially the motherboard, but for good measures include all hardware and operating system

4. niceandspicy999

Thanks for responding. I have a lot of business related software - design programs, CAD, accounting software etc. If I have my accounting software open (which is needed a lot) my pc struggles opening much else at the same time.

Not sure how to get info on the motherboard? From my system info, I have:
    AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2200, 1.8GHz, 256 MB RAM. I have no clue how useful any of that is.

OS is XP SP2.

5. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

You could open the case and look, its usually written on the motherboard..... or you could try downloading everest from here on MG, that might tell ya..... and we do need to know that to see how much ram your motherboard will actually accept...

6. niceandspicy999

Ok, I downloaded Everest and this is all the motherboard info - I've just copied everything and attached it as a file as I don't know which info you need.

Attached Files:

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

That's the crucial :D information.

Any PC shop should be able to supply RAM from an older PC, or backwards compatible RAM from this info. You should try and find out what the maximum RAM (Megs) that your mobo will accept. It may be limited to 1 gig, for instance, and you could install 4 x 256, or 2 x 512 or 1 x 1 gig maybe.

Bazza

8. padams

padams First Sergeant

HERE!

This is a 512mb stick of ram that will fit your system. Buy two for a gig or just the one. Either way, it'll speed things up.

9. niceandspicy999

Thank you very much!! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds