connecting my old Windows98 machine to my router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RezRunner, Oct 20, 2007.

1. RezRunner

RezRunner Private E-2

Hey Everyone

Hope you are all having a great day. I was just trying to connect my old Windows 98 machine to my motorola broadband router. I went in and set my TCP/IP connection to DHCP. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I am not able to ping out or pull an IP address from my router. I know there is something I am doing wrong but my mind is blank right now. Can anyone help me. My network card is an OvisLink which has worked in the past but I can't remember how I configured it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

have you got microsoft client installed? file and printer sharing checked?
    have you gone into the propeties of the network card, and tried a static number like
    192.168.1.150? assuming the router address is 192.168.1.1?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  3. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

Rez:

When I was having to setup several stations at work with Win98 there were several things that I was always configuring in order to get the system online, they were the following:

TCP/IP (set as you did to DCHP)
    IPX/SPX
    NetBEUI
    Your NIC card adaptor
    & the Client for MS Networks

File & Print sharing is an optional thing (but sometimes is needed).

Hope this helps.
    bgunn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds