Copying NetFlix DVD - Which App ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottportraits, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Tuesday November 10, 2009

Hello,
    I just joined NetFlix and got a multi-episode DVD (Over 7GBs on one DVD).
    I'd like to save each episode as a separate .avi file....there are 5 episodes on the DVD.
    I have Nero. It doesn't seem to work. I want to save each episode as a separate .avi file to the Hard Drive, then transfer them to rewritable DVDs and watch them at leisure. The 'My Computer', then right click on 'explore' leads me to two files: AUDIO TS and VIDEO TS. Audio is empty, video has 7.46 GB on it. When I open the VIDEO file it has numerous .VOB, .BUP, and .IFO files, all numbered strangely.

Is there a free app I can download and use to copy these episodes to my hard drive as single .avi files by episode ??

Thanks,

-scottportraits

2. paradoxdream

paradoxdream Private First Class

3. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

um....isn't ripping Netflix DVDs highly unethical?

4. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Unethical ? Why ? It is a multi-episode old TV show, and I want to copy them to hard drive and watch them each at my leisure off of a rewritable DVD on my TV.
    I am not going to redistribute. It's just for my own 'collection'.

5. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I don't want to get into a serious ethics discussion here, but here are two reasons I would question it.

First off, I am sure the Netflix terms of use prohibits ripping their dvds.
    Secondly, you are sending back a dvd before you normally would by doing this and getting another. You are essentially getting what most other people would have to pay more for (ex: going from a 2 DVD at a time to 3).

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

That's very wise and on that basis this thread is now closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds