Home networking question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volmanal, Mar 10, 2004.

1. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

Hi,
    I have a problem setting up my home network. This is what I have now:

Linksys 4 port router outs to:
    2 pc's
    Xbox
    PS2

My daughter and I got a laptop and decided to go wireless so I got a netgear wireless router with a 4 port wired conncection. SoI disconnected one of the pc's upstairs and ran that to the wan port on the netgear wireless. I ran a rj45 from the netgear to the PC I took the connection from to go to the netgear. Everything works fine for a few minutes and then the pc connected from the netgear with rj45 looses internet. Do I have this set up right?

I thought about this. Since I have a comcast pro account can I connect both routers to a hub with a direct internet connection. That way my 2 wireless will have there own IP address. If I get a 4 port hub I can connect the linksys router to one the netgear to the other, and then use the other 2 ports for my xbox and ps2.

I am confused on what to do and bandwith speed is an issue.
    I guess I could just connect the netgear router and use the 4 ports like this 1 to the ps2
    1 to the xbox
    2 to my to desktop pc's.

What is the best and the fastest way to go?

Thanks for the help

2. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

Yep, 1 pc using home xp, 1 pc using xp pro....
    1 notebook using xp home the other xp pro

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well...it being 2:18 in the morning, I can't make heads or tails of what you are wanting to do.

However, I can tell you what I did. (I've since sold my wireless equipment.)

2 PCs
    1 Xbox
    1 wireless Laptop.

I took a Dlink 604+ router as my main.

Hooked the WAN port to my hardware bridge (for you it would be your cable modem).

Hooked my Wireless Router/AP (Linksys WRT54G) to a port. I chose 4 in my case.
    Hooked my Xbox to port 3.
    Hooked PCs to ports 1 and 2.

I had the Linksys WAP set to defaults. I setup WPA encryption, and all that jazz.

Ok. In this configuration, all computers and Xbox had net access. There only remain one problem. The Linksys WAP was giving the laptop a different Default Gateway because of DHCP. This kept me from sharing files and accessing the Linksys router config from the PCs.

Rather than scratch my head, and try to figure out why the Linksys WAP would not accept DHCP from the Dlink Router (when I turned off DHCP, nothing worked), I decided (with a tip from a friend) that since I was using XP on the machines, I would set them up with multiple Default Gateways on the network interfaces (the network cards).

So I went to the control panel, went to the properties of the Network Connection, highlighted Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and chose properties.

From here, I clicked Advanced. Under Default Gateways, I chose Add...

The default gateway for the Dlink was 192.168.0.1.
    The default gateway for the Linksys was 192.168.1.1.

So...I added a second default gateway on the laptop of 192.168.0.1.
    On the PCs I added the default gateway of 192.168.1.1.

Problem resolved.

The PCs could share files and I could configure either router from a PC.

If you are running out of router ports, you could also add a switch to one of the ports, effectively multiplying your ports. So long as it is a switch and not a hub, bandwidth sould play little part (at least locally). As for over the net, well common sense dictates that 4-6 machines behind a router will be sucking bandwidth from the same line. So...if one computer is downloading 500 things at once, the rest are going to have to compete for whats left of the bandwidth.

To be honest, it should not be an issue, especially over cable.

Here are some screenies for the XP stuff.

Screenie 1:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2004
  4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Screenie 2:

Edit:

Somehow the attachment here is lost in limbo. So I will link it from web space.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2004
  5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Screenie 3:

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Screenie 4:

7. King

King Private E-2

Hi

First thing I would recommend would be to move the uplink to a non-'wan' port. If that doesn't help, the easiest would be just to replace the linksys with the netgear if it has enough ports.

Hope this helps.

-K

8. volmanal

volmanal Private E-2

Yeh...I tried that when I first got it but for some reason I dropped heavy in bandwith by just using the netgear.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds