64bit on 32bit OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leoleotheiii, Mar 24, 2006.

1. leoleotheiii

leoleotheiii Private First Class

What would happen if i install windows xp 32bit on a computer using a 64bit processor?

lol i dont have a 64 bit processor but was kind of curious on what wud happen

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

It will work fine, thats what most peoples with 64 bit processors are using.

3. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

well i can tell you based on my own experiences with winXP home and an athlon 64 3500+

1.power button is pressed
    2.compaq splash screen
    3.win XP boots
    4.log in unjder username "splitt3r" password*****
    5.windows screen
    6.icons appear and stuff loads
    7.and then you umm, do computer stuff, it is no different than with a 32 bit cpu.

4. leoleotheiii

then how come Ms made a 64bit version of xp?

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Because for those who do have a 64 processor, its faster,

6. leoleotheiii

7. cdolgner

cdolgner Private E-2

well, what would happen if you put the windows 64 on a computer with a 32 bit processor, it would just run slow? i am asking because, i have a lot of computers, all with 32 bit processors, from what i have read about Vista, it will only run on 64 bit processors, if this is not correct please advice. thanks

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nothing would happen. It wouldn't work.

9. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

yeah, what adrynaline said, but as for vista, I think there will be both 32 and 64 bit versions, I am not sure though.

10. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

They'll most likely be a 32 and 64 bit version of vista. I wouldn't worry about it to much right now though. A year ago MS was swearing up and down that they would never release another 32 bit OS. Then 6 months ago they decided to say they'll do a 32 bit release as well. Of course 2 years ago they had said there would be a 32 bit release but then they'd taken it away.

Ultimately it boils down to MS doesn't want to release a 32bit OS, but they most likely will due to consumer pressure. But basicly everything you hear about vista is subject to change right up untill the official launch.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds