New motherboard wont load HD with XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KTSBTW97, Jul 17, 2005.

1. KTSBTW97

KTSBTW97 Private E-2

I have purchased a chaintech CT-7NJL6 motherboard. After installing it my HD with windows XP on it wont get past POST. As soon as POST finishes, it goes to black screen to start loading and then resets to power on. It then goes to advances options and non of the modes will load. Safe, last good, normal all repower up and bring me back to the options. I put a HD with Win 98 on it and it loads and the XP can be used as a slave. IF I try a different HD with XP it does the same thing. No load. Any ideas? thanks :confused:

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You shouldnt use a harddrive with an os already installed,it has drivers for other hardware,select cdrom as first boot device in bios and do a fresh install of xp on that disk,if you would like to transfer files use one of the data recovery tools from the download section here at MG.

3. Cptmark

Cptmark Private E-2

I have the same issue. The additional issue I have is that the CD drawer will not open anymore so I cannot insert the XP Pro CD to boot from. Any ideas?

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Most optical drives have an emergency tray-opening mechanism...there should be a small hole on the face of the drive, usually on the right side under the tray - insert a straightened paper clip into the hole, use a little pressure, and the tray should open...

5. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

Sounds like the same problem I had. If it's an OEM version of XP, a new motherboard would cause XP to see a hardware change, in which XP won't load. No way around it.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=201958

6. Cptmark

Cptmark Private E-2

Thank you for suggestion which worked flawlessly. I can now start my computer and get it to try and load windows from the cd drive. The new and improved problem is that when it starts to load the computer, the keyboard/mouse which are wireless work fine but when I get to the part where I have to decide between a fresh install or a recovery install the mouse/keyboard no longer work and I cannot make the required selection. Do I need to just get a dumb plugin keyboard or am I missing something else?
    Thanks to all for your help and
    merry christmas/happy new year.
    mark

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds