Vista Installed Twice

Discussion in 'Software' started by MEGAMANFRE, Mar 10, 2007.

1. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

Somehow, during my installation of Vista, it installed on two seperate Hard Drives. The Primary Partition when I had XP MCE02 was renamed to D, and a partition used mostly for music was renamed to C.

Now, this wouldnt be an issue, except for the fact that my new C drive is not always kept in the computer. Ive tried to reformat the C drive, but am not allowed because its a boot drive. Same goes for the D drive.

Is there any way for me to uninstall the Vista located on the New C drive, so that I may use the Vista located on the D drive only? Im not too concerned about drive lettering, although I would prefer to revert the Drive letters back to the way they were. My D drive is considerably larger than my C drive, and would prefer to have my windows installed there, as well as convert the drive letter back to its original C.

If theres any confusion, just ask and Ill try to clear it up. I appreciate any help!

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

You have two seperate hard drives or one partitioned drive?

I ask because if you were installing an operating system to the master drive I dont think its possible that it would install itself on another seperate drive unless you ran the set up process on both drives.

3. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

Its actually 2 seperate hard drives, so Im not too sure exactly what had happened.

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

When you try to boot up the machine do you get a choice of two different OS?

5. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

Yes, I have 2 options to boot with Windows Vista, but nothing else.

6. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

If both drives are booting and running then you must have two legitmate Vista Key codes, right?

7. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

I only have one, but I didnt put my code in when I installed it. I was having issues with installing Vista with it freezing, and found if I didnt put my keycode in, it installed with little problems.

8. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

If you did not use a key it would not have installed at all. confused Someone used a key.

If you were having problems installing Vista and did it multiple times, maybe you installed it on both drives yourself?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You do not need the product key to install Vista, just to activate it.

MEGAMANFRE will have to start over with the installation, delete all partitions, reformat all the drives then reinstall fresh on only the preferred hard drive.

10. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Thanks for clearing things up for me Playin.

I was going to ask this morning. I wasn't sure about Vista.

So if the key is only for activation why would the install work fine without the key and then start to cause problems only after activation?

11. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I don't believe you have to slash and burn your installs. Grab a copy of Vistabootpro, install it as admin and then go to manage OS entries, delete your second install. It should work even though you don't have XP on there as this utility is used mainly to fix dual boots. HTH

12. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

That doesn't seem to be the case.
    XP has a 30 day window where it would work without being activated. Vista has a similar window.

13. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Yes, but to actually install XP and get it up and running you have to enter your Key code. Whether you activate it or not you HAVE to type your 25 digit key code or you CANT install it at all. Once its running to activate it you have to confirm you have a Valid key that you purchased or it will not Activte and will simply shut itself down. If this was not the case I could go to the local Best Buy, steal a copy of XP run it for 29 days FOR FREE and then uninstall it.

Does it not work this way with Vista?

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

NO you can opt to activate later, this option then gives you a list of the Vista versions, from this you pick the version you have a key for, it will then install that version and you have 30 days in which to enter your key to activate, if not then the OS goes into reduced functionality mode until you do, basically all you can do is get on the net to buy or enter key, plus surf sites, but you cannot enter the OS's GUI or run applications.

This is not also a way in which if you have a Home Basic key for you to install Ultimate as the keys need to match the version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds