Existing OS, replaced with win XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Balthazor, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Balthazor

Balthazor Private E-2

the existing os on the dell I recently purchased was Linix (spelling?) We needed windows XPfor a game, I installed xp home and entered the product key and it was summarily refused by the machine, I entered a new product key from microsoft and it too was refused by my machine, please advise, thank you in advance :)

Also it has a cmos error requiring me to press F1 before it continues to windows.....lol

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Retail Windows XP? Did you purchase it?

3. Balthazor

Balthazor Private E-2

Yes, I purchased the newer Os (Win XP) and had a lengthy talk with microsoft during which they created and gave me a new product key

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Are you booting to the CD when installing?

5. Balthazor

Balthazor Private E-2

I am following the instructions given by the program, so yes

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If Microsoft issued you a new product key, all I can guess is that the software is somehow "misfiring". Where did you buy the Windows XP installation CD? Was a product key included with the your purchase? Product keys are almost always included and are printed on either holographic plastic stickers (the older ones) or on layered paper stickers with security ribbons and microprinting (the newer ones) and either sticker is almost impossible to counterfeit. I've only seen one counterfeit product key sticker about 3 years ago, and it was so obviously fake that I can't believe that it fooled anyone. Anyway- I would return to where I purchased the CD (if it's a store) or contact the seller and explain the situation, and request a replacement with a new product key sticker, or a refund, and be sure to return the CD you currently have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds