What's in running in the background?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bennos, Aug 10, 2006.

1. bennos

bennos Private First Class

I am running WinXP with...
    -Avast 7.1 (free version)
    -WinXP firewall

I have downloaded and installed the following free versions of...
    -Spybot Search & Detroy
    -No-Adware
    -Windows Defender Beta 2.0
    -Spy Sweeper

On start up after everything loads, after all the icons appear on the system tray (is that the right name for it? It's in the bottom right corner). It still takes about 30 secs after that before I can begin using the computer. I wanted to know if there is a way of checking what I have running in the background that doesn't appear anywhere. Maybe I can delete some background programs to make it quicker.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Go to start, run, type in msconfig ok, startup.

3. bennos

bennos Private First Class

Thanks, there's heaps of stuff there. Any ideas on where I can get some information on what I can delete or disable?

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I wanted to know if there is a way of checking what I have running in the background that doesn't appear anywhere. Maybe I can delete some background programs to make it quicker. bennos <<

To find out more about these processes and programs; there is a fairly handy-dandy freeware utility called: Autostart and Process Viewer (APV) which can give users far more "control" over applications which start with Windows. Once APV is installed; this utility program allows users to view all of the currently running processes, as well as provide the option to "remove" any unnecessary, redundant or bothersome unwanted autostart entries (see a screenshot of APV here)

This APV program can also assist users in uncovering which processes and autostart entries are new. While using this program; users can not only "accept" a process or a program starting with windows; but additionally - if a new "unaccepted" item appears - the program informs the user about it with a brief description of what the program (or process) does and possibly where it comes from. There is also a database of "known" programs and an onsite forum available.

Very Important Note: This is NOT one of those software programs which you simply download and it works automatically. This utility requires configuration. You must properly check the "settings" that you desire in order for it to work correctly. Therefore, be sure to read ALL directions (Read Me, Help files, etc) before using it, so that you can get the most out of it.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds