Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Runs in Safe Mode, but not in Safe Mode With Networking

Discussion in 'Software' started by krellkraver, Jul 23, 2009.

1. krellkraver

krellkraver Private E-2

Hello,

I've got a peculiar and suspicious problem, but an expert in the Malware Removal forum found no infection on my computer (see the thread here.)

One of the symptoms I'm seeing is that the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) installer will not complete without errors in Windows XP Pro SP3 after a normal boot. After acknowledging the errors during the install routine (which are always the same, a screenshot is attached to this thread), the installer seems to finish. However, the second symptom is that MBAM then will not run due to the same pop-up error message. It's a Visual C++ Runtime Library error that says, "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." Please see the screenshot in this Malware Removal thread.

I know that normally, some malware will disallow running the normal filename for MBAM, so the first thing I tried was renaming the file to something else, including using different file extension such as .com, .bat, .scr, and .pif. None of these renaming attempts worked. This is where I started to observe really strange behavior. After uninstalling my first MBAM install attempt, I found that I could install MBAM when booted to Safe Mode (after changing the registry to allow this and starting the installer service in Safe Mode). After the install I could also run MBAM in safe mode. I then rebooted to normal mode, and MBAM still would not run. I then tried Safe Mode with Networking so that I could download MBAM updates, but was surprised to see that MBAM would show the same Runtime error in Safe Mode with Networking. This suggests to me that the problem is something that Windows loads in Safe Mode with Networking that is NOT loaded in regular Safe Mode.

I have already tried reinstalling my Visual C++ Runtime by downloading the latest installer from Microsoft, but this did not produce any change in behavior.

As I mentioned, TimW reviewed my logs and reported that they were clean. I was hoping someone in this forum could shed some light on what is causing this disturbing problem.

Thanks,

krellkraver

2. krellkraver

krellkraver Private E-2

Re: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Runs in Safe Mode, but not in Safe Mode With Networkin

I just found the solution to this issue in Malwarebytes' own forums here. Apparently this is a known bug.

Thanks,

krellkraver

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds