Sister Cities

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by legalsuit, May 15, 2007.

1. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Sister cities often have something in common – geographically and culturally (though there is often so much fog around San Francisco, I often missed seeing what was common LOL ).

Interesting to see the practice of twinning arrangements of cities around the world. This often leads to student exchange programs, as well as cultural collaborations.

Here’s a sample of some sister cities with some Australian cities. Recognise any? (Wonder if Venice in L.A. is a sister to Italy's Venice?)

Australia

• Adelaide, South Australia — Austin, Texas, USA

• Albany, Western Australia — Albany, Oregon, USA

• Blue Mountains, New South Wales — Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

• Bowral, New South Wales — St. Helens, Oregon, USA

• Cairns, Queensland — Sidney, Canada confused (wonder how these two got twinned?)

• Campbell Town, Tasmania — Missouri City, Texas, USA

• Darwin, Northern Territory — Anchorage, Alaska, USA; Honolulu, Hawaii, USA; Kalymnos, Greece

• Gold Coast City, Queensland — Noumea, New Caledonia, France; Corfu

• Lake Macquarie, New South Wales — Round Rock, Texas, USA

• Melbourne, Victoria — Boston, Massachusetts, USA

• Murray Bridge, South Australia — Laredo, Texas, USA

• Parkes, New South Wales — Coventry, UK

• Perth, Western Australia — Houston, Texas, USA; Rhodes, Greece; San Diego, California, Los Angeles USA

• Port Adelaide Enfield, South Australia — Plano, Texas, USA

• Port Stephens, New South Wales — Bellingham, Washington, USA

• Sydney, New South Wales — San Francisco, California, USA

2. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Or Albany, NY, the state capital :)

~C

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Muskegon, Mi. - Hartlepool, England, UK

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Liverpool UK twined with ~ Cologne; Odessa; Dublin; Shanghai

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Montreal,Canada = Hiroshima, Japan

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm sorry, but Houston is nothing like Los Angeles, aside from them being huge cities.

8. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Edinburgh, Scotland is twinned with 10 cities around the world. These are as follows:
    Aalborg - Denmark
    Florence - Italy
    Dunedin - New Zealand
    Kiev - Ukraine
    Krakow -Poland
    Munich - Germany
    Nice - France
    San Diego - USA
    Vancouver - Canada
    Xi'an - China
    :)

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Cool, you were my sister years ago, when I was growing up there.LOL

10. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

This twinning of cities is great isn't it? It really opens doors for families around the world to give their children fabulous opportunities to get into a different country's culture while studying whether at school or university.

Hey Grumbles, UK certainly has a lot of twinning going on. I know Australia does too with many different countries (but I'm being too lazy to check it outLOL)

By copy to Adrynalyne (re your quote: "I'm sorry, but Houston is nothing like Los Angeles, aside from them being huge cities.")

Are Houston and Los Angeles official sister cities?

Cheers

LS

11. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Manchester - England
    Amsterdam - Holland
    Chemnitz - Germany
    Córdoba - Spain
    Faisalabad - Pakistan
    Managua - Nicaragua
    St.Petersburg - Russia
    Wuhan - China
    Rehovot - Israel

12. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Apologies. Misunderstood your post:eek: (ignore my earlier question to you).

Our city of Perth is the twin sister to some overseas' cities that include:

• Houston, Texas, USA;
    • Rhodes, Greece;
    • San Diego, California, USA
    • Los Angeles, California, USA

At school I remember we had exchange students from Japan and USA; and at uni we had exchange students from all over the world. Made for some interesting conversations.

Cheers

LS

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

14. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

That doesn't make yo twinned!

That makes you decaned... roflmao

15. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, Perth (where I'm living), is listed as:-

Perth's Sister Cities

The City of Perth has Sister City Agreements with the following cities:

Kagoshima, Japan, established in 1974
    Houston, Texas, established in 1984
    Rhodes, Greece, established in 1984
    Megisti, Greece, established in 1984
    San Diego, California, established in 1987
    Vasto, Italy, established in 1989
    Nanjing, China, established in 1998
    Taipei, Taiwan, established in 1999

The City of Perth has a Charter of Mutual Friendship with the following city. Charters of Mutual Friendship are less formal agreements than Sister City agreements.

(Named after:- ) Perth, Scotland, established in 2006
    Grenoble, France, established in 1985 (currently inactive)

http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/html/cou12_.php

Having lived in Calif. in my college years, Perth is a little like a somewhat toned down and smaller L.A., and beaches somewhat similar to around Venice Beach area - complete with yuppie culture of its own, LoL!

16. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Abstracts from

Interesting agreements info on your post Phantom.

Perth is a pretty town, we're losing a lot of Sydney people who are going to Perth. Last time there I could see it was a scaled down model of L.A. (neat place), though the beach people are more conservative to the colourful characters I saw around Venice Beach in L.A.

Cheers

LS

17. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Wow! Manchester has a quite a difference in range of sister cities. Interesting.

18. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Montreal is beautiful....surprised to see it's sister city is in Japan.

19. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

What a diverse range of countries with such different cultures!

20. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I read somewhere this city is suposed to have the most diverse mixture of cultures in the north of England! Although Im unsure of the facts.

Manchester has a population of 441,200. The surrounding area of Greater Manchester has a population of 2,240,230. Making Manchester the third largest conurbation in England.

The top 10 religions of the people of Manchester:-
    1. Christian 62.4%
    2. No religion 16.0% (mine!)
    3. Religion not stated 9.7%
    4. Muslim 9.1%
    5. Jewish 1.0%
    6. Hindu 0.7%
    7. Buhddist 0.5%
    8. Sikh 0.4%
    9. Other 0.3%

An estimated 30% of Manchesters population is of Irish decent.

All these facts were pinched from Wikipedia! :eek:

21. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Abstract from

That explains the diversity. Fascinating. (Why the :eek: ? - using the web is a great reference resource in more ways than one - imagine using hardcopy instead:eek)

Actually, we're pretty multicultural down here as well (Sydney anyway). I think it's great having such a mix and sharing of cultures. We do have some problems, but thankfully, bigotry or racism generally is not tolerated.

Cheers

LS

22. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Although it is multi-cultural here. We tend to have a very segregated society still. And I would like to say theres no racism here, but that is a lie. It is not tolerated here, but it exists big time. Greater Manchester seen one of the worst race riots in the UK not so long back. It wasnt near where I live but not that far 5-10 miles or so, not in the city itself but in the surrounding area. Its like black people will group together living in one area, aisians in another, whites in another. It would be much better if it was mixed more, then maybee the little ones growing up now would have a better understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_Riots

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1354441.stm

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aa00d_4707

23. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Abstract from
    Whoa! We have had the odd riots here too, but not as bad as what you've shown. I remember seeing same on the news.

We also have our "suburbs" of different communities, but they're not as accentuated or alienated from the rest of the community. Here a "no tolerance" attitude is pounded by politicians, community and Police alike - and it works both ways, that is, a no tolerance attitude towards "whites" or different race/culture/creed from a different race/creed/culture is also not tolerated. Community consciousness on cultural/race differences is not an easy thing, it takes time and some understanding.

Whenever we've had any demonstrations/riot attempts, members from both sides of the community have joined together, (commonly a youth majority) in expressing a want towards a multicultural understanding and tolerance (also noted on one of your links), which is good to see.

It's a slow process and needs "all sides" to work.

24. harry

harry Private "Bad" Joker

Musksnipe,
    Don`t know if you have heard about the inhabitants of Hartlepool hanging a monkey because they thought it was a French spy?

Harry.

25. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Haven't heard that, but it's a great piece of trivia to show off in front of my friends with. ;)

26. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

LoL! We used to hear about that one, too. Apparently, there is some debate as to whether it is actually true or not.

http://www.thisishartlepool.co.uk/history/thehartlepoolmonkey.asp

27. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Our Sister City is Forres, Scotland. Golf, Castles, and Whisky, oh my. I spelled whiskey the Scottish way. Looks like a wonderful place to visit, in the summertime.
    http://www.forresweb.net/
    Very good website also,

28. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Extract from

Scotland's Forres cultural connections and background with Florida is quite interesting. Both sound like lovely places.

Cheers

LS

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds