What anti-virus and spyware programs work together?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pcs_design, Sep 8, 2006.

1. pcs_design

pcs_design Private E-2

Well, I finally got Windows installed on my brother in-laws computer...now onto installing the programs.
    Thanks to all that helped! :)
    Now the question I have is what are the best compination of security programs that work well together. When I had a problem once with my old computer with viruses, I installed a bunch of anti-virus/spyware programs....only problem was that they seemed to compete with each other, each saying the other was a spyware and turn them off and not allowin access to the internet...needless to say it justkilled my computer. Since it was a REALLY old computer and it was already having problems, I just left it alone....I is sitting collecting dust.
    Anyway, I don't want the same thing to happen to his computer, so I need some more help/advice.
    Thank you all again,
    PCS

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh ouch! Installing more than one full-blown antivirus (AV) app is a no no. However, it is good to have some redundancy, as no one application is 100% ALL of the time. It is a good idea to have a single AV application installed, and back it up with online scans from, for example, Trend Micro or Bitdefender.

Antispyware programs are different. It usually doesn't do much harm to have multiple ones installed (and this gives you the same redundancy as above).

To get yourself set up with an excellent, redundant, and best of all FREE defense against both spyware and viruses, I HIGHLY recommend that you follow the instructions in the How to protect yourself from malware thread. This thread will recommend you to the best apps out there!

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

mcadam, do you use anything for real-time AS protection, or do you only have on-demand scanning? Windows Defender is GREAT for that, and plays nicely with Adaware.

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Using on my laptop, with no problems:

Avast On-Access Antivirus Scanner
    Zonealarm Firewall
    Ad-Aware Personal
    Spybot S&D
    Spywareblaster
    SUPERAntispyware
    WINPatrol
    SpywareGuard

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Ahem, *cough-non-genuine-windows-cough*

:rolleyes::eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds