PC making loud clicking sounds...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by s0nlxaftrsh0ck, May 2, 2008.

1. s0nlxaftrsh0ck

s0nlxaftrsh0ck Private E-2

For the past...3-4 days my PC has been making clicking sounds. At first i thought this was my radiator. But it sounds a lot closer now. I can only think of a few things..

My Processor Fan
    NVidia GeForce 7950GT
    PSU Fan
    One of the 2 hard drives that i have installed on my PC.

If it is the latter...which one do i replace? Should it be my C drive or my D? My OS is installed on the C drive and the D drive is just used as extra storage and is actually quite old. The new C drive is a SATA HDD i bought a little over a year ago. So do you guys think it's an HDD problem?

2. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Figure out who is the hard drive manufacturer of your HDDS quick and download their Diagnostic HDD tools through their websites and scan those puppies NOW. Don't hesitate!!!! Usually HDD's make clicking sounds when they're dying. If the scans come up showing bad errors and stuff on them backup all your data and send those HDD's back if you still have a valid warranty for them.

HURRY!!!:major

3. s0nlxaftrsh0ck

Well they are both western digital hard drives..

The 160GB IDE is obviously the oldest.
    The 250 SATA is the newest.

I downloaded the diagnostic tool from Western Digital and had them both scanned extensively and both results came out with a passing grade.

I've tested all of my fans of my PC and NONE of them are making this clicking sound. All except for my CPU. The sound "Seems" to be coming from there.

It sometimes makes rhythmic sounds... other times it's just very random. Did something get into my PSU? Did something possibly melt from something? It's just weird and such an eerie feeling to have this sound clicking so much.

Also i power tested both hard drives and neither made a clicking sound..

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try another power supply. If it still clicks, replace the fan on the CPU. The cpu won't make noise but might magnify noise that the fan is making.

5. s0nlxaftrsh0ck

indeed...okay thanks a lot guys!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds