Gateway all in one no display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigPile, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BigPile

BigPile Private E-2

Hello,
    I have a Gateway all-in-one, model ZX6900-01e. When I power on the unit, the power button "Gateway" lights up but there is no display...it remains a black screen. I can hear the hard drive spin up and the cooling fans come on, so I assuming everything is working but the integrated video??

I have tried the following to correct the problem:

1) Restarted / Powered Off 100's of times. The device started up normally a couple of times, but the next time that it was turned off or restarted it did not work again. Now can not get it to turn on again.

2) Tried reseating the RAM.

3) Replaced the RAM

4) Tried a new outlet

5) Tried a new power cord

I have a feeling that this may be an issue with the integrated graphics. If that is the case, where can a new motherboard be purchased. Or can this one be repaired?

Here is a link to the device specs: Gateway ZX6900-01e

Thank you for any input or suggestions.
    -Rob

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum Big Pile:)

Make sure your have no other video card installed,make sure your monitor is connected to you onboard video card output and in turn connected to your monitor these simply things can be easily over looked,if they are connected disconnected blow them clean and reconnect them.

Use one stick of memory in dimm 0 then switch to another stick,a know working one is preferable,disconnect all drives including cdroms.

The first basic thing to do in this situation is a cmos reset which will reset your computers bios to factory defaults and hopefully default to the onboard card.

Disconnect your computer from the AC,press the power button to drain all remaining power,find a small coin shaped battery on the motherboard and remove for 20 seconds then replace,reconnect to the ac and try to boot it,once it's turned on make sure all your fans are spinning.

If this doesn't work check if you have a pc speaker connected this isn't the one built into the motherboard it's connected via the front panel connectors seperately,if not purchase one hopefully you will get an error code.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?num=...&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:83&tx=154&ty=57

Good luck let me know how you get on:)

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Funny you should post this question. I've spent two days researching the identical issue on a Gateway touchscreen AIO ZX4300 (AMD CPU) and here's what I've come up with:

On the unit I was testing, the power light and fans came on, but no display. Based on Googlng "ZX4300", it appears motherboard failures are quite common. Checking eBay, used replacement boards (30 days warranty) are running around $250 (on top of all this, it appeared some genius who worked on this one before me used glue in one spot to reattach the back, making disassembly all but impossible :rolleyes).

If the ZX6900 comes up with the same issues when you Google it, I'd cut my losses on this one. If the PC is under two years old and you purchased it paying with a higher-end credit card, you may have an extra year of warranty through the credit card company.

4. BigPile

BigPile Private E-2

In my research I have also found that this is a common problem with these units, but unfortunately there isn't much out there on a 'solution' or 'repair'. I have found the replacement board for my unit on ebay as well....($179 - not too bad.) I am assuming that replacing the motherboard is the "fix" to this issue??

That was a great idea on the extra credit card coverage, but unfortunately I am at 2 years and 2 months on my unit....figures. haha.

Couple of questions:
    1. Is the integrated video on the motherboard itself or built into the CPU?
    2. Where is the integrated video located?
    3. Is there a way to hook up an external video card to one of these "all-in-one" units even if it involves a "Frankenstein" alteration to the unit?

Thanks for the info!

5. BigPile

BigPile Private E-2

I don't know what to do now.....I decided to have another try at my ZX6900 All-on-One. So I brought it out, plugged it in and pushed the power button........again the LED power button turns on, but no display. So I unplug it, hold the power button for 15 seconds......remove all the RAM, push the power button and it does the same thing, except this time there is a loud, continous "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" that never ends. I had pull the power cord to silence it.

I then put in a single stick of RAM into it and attempted to power it up....this time it WORKED!! It booted back into Windows with no issues.

I am afraid to turn it off as it has booted up in the past like this, but the next time I attempt to reboot or restart it I will get the dead screen.

My question is now: What can cause this intermittent no display / no boot issue? Can it still be a motherboard / integrated video issue? Is it more likely a RAM issue?

Thanks in advance.

6. BigPile

BigPile Private E-2

Re: Gateway all in one no display (Solved - RAM Slot issue)

Ok, don't ask me how or why, but I have found the problem.

From the manufacturer my system had 4GB of RAM installed (two 2GB sticks). If you number the 4 total slots from top to bottom, from the factory the OEM sticks were in slots 2 and 4.

Let 2 years pass and then the systems starts not booting up (see 1st post). I purchased two more 2GB sticks of RAM from Crucial and put them in slots 1 and 3...still no boot. I tried single sticks and double sticks in every combination, but system still would not boot.

Well tonight I tried messing with the RAM again, and have found out the problem is slots 1 and 2 (the top two slots). Apparently when I was doing my random combinations of RAM test, I must have never put just a single stick in either of the bottom two....

So anyway, The booting problem is isolated to the top two slots.....as long as no RAM is put in either of those slots the computer boots fine.

Does anyone know why the top two slots would suddenly stop working? Is there a way to get those slots to work?

Thank you!

7. lindastuff

lindastuff Private E-2

Integrated graphics... When someone said this "you would not be able to view anything on the PC.".. does that mean not even when the brief prompt comes up that there is no signal? Because I do get that much… And once did get the desktop to come up after slipping the CD in, now I can't get it to do it again. I already know that the PC has an integrated video/graphics, but didn't want to go through taking it all apart again if it's more like clearing CMOS. Also, what are the chances of having to change jumpers when I put in a PCI graphics card for dedication? Thanks in advance!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds