Computer doesn't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WaffleGuy, May 8, 2014.

1. WaffleGuy

WaffleGuy Private E-2

Hi everyone,

I apologize if it's been asked before, but I thought that results may be different because I have my own set of specs.
    I have bought parts for a computer 2 days ago and was very exited to assemble them. thinking that I can finally play games on high graphics. My specs are as the following:
    i5 4670 processor
    gtx 770 graphics card
    asus z87a motherboard
    nzxt 410 case
    cx750 power supply
    8gb corsair ram

I have hooked everything up, as according to the manual, I did hook up the 8pin and the 24pin to the motherboard from the power supply, ram and cpu is installed properly, everything is wired correctly according to the manual

FROM THE CASE:
    - hd audio cable goes in the AAFP port, a usb 2.0 goes into one of the usb ports.
    -usb3.0 goes into the usb3.0 port
    - port for the fan goes into one molex connector
    - + and - pled is hooked up right, as well is the power and reset switches.
    others:
    - 24pin and 8 pin from the power supply is hooked up right.
    - ram is installed

The problem here is that when I press the power switch, nothing happens. There is just a green LED on the motherboard that lights up when i connect power. Am I doing anything wrong? I thought with these basic things the computer should at least turn on. I really hope that it's not "defective equipment" because I bought them brand new 2 days ago. Hopefully I didn't break anything, nothing should break so far, and hopefully nothing burned or fried because I didn't connect a cable or something, but is that possible?

Any help/ pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum:)

Remove all add in cards, hard drives, disk drives, use one stick of memory in dimm0 then switch to dimm 1, then switch to a different stick. Since nothing happens make sure you have your power switch connected properly and that it works, double check the front header diagram for the power switch pins and if you get nothing at all short the two pins with a screwdriver to see if it fires up. Your video card will also require one 8pin pci-e power connector and one 6pin pci-e power connector so check those also.

3. WaffleGuy

WaffleGuy Private E-2

Thanks for the answer,
    So far I am sure that the front header is correct according to the diagram.

For the videocard I am using two 8pins PCI-E, of which are both 6+2's.

I have been told to short the two pins, which two, the two power switch pins?
    So I plug them halfway in and put a screwdriver on or just hold it and do that? Sorry I am very clueless when it comes to hardware.
    If the power switch may not be working as you said, is it more of the pin or more of a faulty case?

4. Rikky

Touch a flat head screwdriver on the two pins on the front panel header on the motherboard for the power switch briefly 'split second' it should fire up, if your not confident doing this switch the power switch and reset switch so the reset switch becomes the power switch.
    The goal is to rule out a faulty or wrongly connected switch.

The reason for this is you get no warning beeps or activity, the next step would be to test the power supply.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. WaffleGuy

WaffleGuy Private E-2

I wasn't aware, but It seems that I have removed a jumper cap from the mother board, would that be critical? I am trying to find the cap right now.

Thanks

6. WaffleGuy

WaffleGuy Private E-2

Problem solved, it turns out that, I DON'T KNOW HOW, the RAM wasn't put in properly. I took both out and put one in on another slot and it boots. after that it worked fine. Nothing is broken(i am glad). Thank you kind sir your your help. I tried some stuff on the desktop, I am in love. Time for me to go enjoy gaming on high graphics, thanks again.

7. Rikky

Enjoy!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds