Is this a modem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tempest1000, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge

I used the 'lspci' option on the terminal on my new Ubuntu system. I just got this Tuesday night and I think I've caught on pretty quick.

I have dial-up and we do have a router, it's just sometimes it's faster to used the modem built into my computer than the secondhand connection of the router.

I also have wireless and used that at my college and at the library (when we get there ;), but I need to know if the modem so I can get the proper drivers for it so I can use. Thank you!

2. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

in a word no

3. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Do you know how to find an internal modem through Ubuntu?

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

What is the make and model of your computer. You may have better luck posting in the Linux forum. I do know that linux does not work all that well with modems. Especially the modems that depend on Windows drivers to function.

Here is some info on dial-up modems and Ubuntu though it is quite old.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

5. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

It's an HP nc6000, if that helps. I'm not sure of the specs. I'm still new at trying to figure this stuff out and Linux...

Yeah, I could have told you if I still had XP. :p

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Excellent. Thank you, tgell. :)

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Save yourself a headache. Search for and get a USB modem like this (brand is unimportant I used this just as an illustration)
    [​IMG]
    Trying to get a winmodem to work under linux can waste a lot of time and no guarantee that the time spent will get it to work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds