Reasons to switch to Linux.

Discussion in 'Software' started by onegoodman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

I. Windows has gotten so lame, Seems that the new version of windows was developed for a notepad computer rather than a desktop.

2.It Doesn't Crash
    . If a program crashes the OS keeps running. Linux has been time-proven to be a reliable operating system. Although the desktop is not a new place for Linux, most Linux-based systems have been used as servers and embedded systems. High-visibility Web sites such as Google use Linux-based systems.it has not been uncommon for Linux systems to run for months or years without needing a single reboot.

3.Virtually Hardware-Independent
    . Linux was designed and written to be easily portable to different hardware. For the desktop user, this means that Linux has been and likely always will be the first operating system to take advantage of advances in hardware technology such as AMD's 64-bit processor chips.

4. Viruses Are Few and Far Between
    Although it is possible to create a virus to target Linux systems, the design of the system itself makes it very difficult to become infected. A single user could cause local damage to his or her files by running a virus on his or her system; however, this would be an isolated instance rather than something could spread out of control.

5. Applications, Applications
    Each Linux distribution comes with hundreds and possibly thousands of application programs included. This alone can save you thousands of dollars for each desktop system you configure.
    Whether you are looking for Instant Messaging clients, backup tools or Web site development packages, they likely are all included within your base Linux distribution.

6. It's a Community Relationship, Not a Customer Relationship
    Other operating systems are the products of single vendors. Linux, on the other hand, is openly developed, and this technology is shared among vendors. This means you become part of a community rather than a customer of a single manufacturer. The supplier community easily can adjust to the needs of various user communities rather than spouting a "one size fits all" philosophy.

This is six good reasons to switch, but if almost forgot to mention the networking capabilities, to work along with windows networks. and with Applications I forgot to mention the office applications that will work with even the most up to date Microsoft office products. I think the list could just keep going.

If your new to Linux, and your system is new. This is one of the easiest Linux systems to use. No real need to install it, you can try it before installing it.

Sabayon

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

1. Is an opinion. While I agree, it is not fact.
    2. Is going to be dependent on user and activity. GNU/Linux is not crash-proof.
    3. Windows runs on as much hardware as GNU/Linux. Also, GNU/Linux usually lags on taking advantage of new hardware. That is fact.
    4. True.
    5. Windows has more viable applications than GNU/Linux.
    6. Too bad the community is full of elitists that often scare off new users.

I love GNU/Linux, but don't become prey to the propaganda and half-truths out there.

Here is my list of why you might not want to switch to GNU/Linux:
    1. Windows has full consumer and commercial support from developers.
    2. GNU/Linux does not have viable MS Project, Visio, or Visual Studio compatible replacements.
    3. Applications aren't as polished as Windows or OS X counterparts.
    4. Support comes only from a community that can be downright cruel.
    5. New hardware support is dependent on developers deciding to support it, usually.
    6. You give up a lot of gaming. When a game comes out for PC, it doesn't target GNU/Linux.

To new users: Weigh your options carefully. GNU/Linux can be a rewarding experience, but isn't always the answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  3. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Good advice from goodman and adrynaline. I'd have to agree with MOST of these. I'm a HUGE Linux proponent, but even I must admit that SOMETIMES Windows, or even OS X, is the correct tool for the job. Fortunately, Linux is the correct tool MOST of the time (at least for me). I believe most people use Windows because that is the default system on the machines they purchased. If more machines were available with alternative OS installed by default, I believe MANY (or even MOST) consumers would choose something other than windows! Sadly, despite the default status of a Windows installation, most people aren't aware of any other options. Windows is NOT for everyone...neither is Linux, nor OS X!

In response to Adrynaline's 1-6 list of reasons against switching to GNU/Linux, I would add the following responses for consideration:

1. True, but as uptake of other systems, i.e. Linux, Android, iOS, etc... grows, developer support must allocate resources to these alternatives. IMO, developers will follow consumers, not the other way around. It's a chicken & egg proposition.
    2. I don't use any of these, so I'll defer to those with experience. But I think I read recently that LibreOffice is adding, or has already added support for MS Vizio projects. It's just a matter of time. Until that happens, see argument for "right tool for the job."
    3. Depends on what you call "polished"...form or function. In MY opinion, function is the most important. And for the tools/software that I personally use, they are more stable than their Windows counterparts. Therefore, in MY opinion, Linux programs are more polished. Form is also important, but I don't want an interface that's so "blinged-up" that CPU/GPU resources are unnecessarily diverted from other background tasks. Again, by MY definition, the Linux program is more polished due to greater efficiency in resources. However, I must also admit there are a lot of "beta" softwares in the Linux ecosystem that aren't ready for consumer use. By this definition, I would agree with the "polished" statement. But at least I didn't have to pull out my wallet to find out the level of "polish" was a disappointment. And when it comes to software purchases, there's NEVER a refund! With Linux, there's ALMOST never a charge!
    4. Agreed. But in all fairness, for every cruel superior being, there is usually at LEAST 1 person who provides better support service than anything I have ever received from a commercial software vendor. If you can tune out the former person, they don't exist.
    5. Agreed. But the same can be said for Windows drivers. Because of the $$ involved, the Windows drivers usually show up sooner, but usually at the expense of "bugs" in early adoptions. I prefer newer hardware, but NOT the latest and greatest, as I'm content to allow others find the bugs and shake them out. For those like me, this is pretty much a non-issue.
    6. I don't game, so this is a non-issue for me. However, I know folks who ONLY use a PC for gaming. These people should not be using Linux as a primary OS....yet! Valve has targeted the Ubuntu platform of GNU/Linux for their gaming catalog and has been porting their titles for awhile now. This could snowball, or it could be a failure. Either way, it's no longer a static situation. Stay tuned!

In summary, I'm a HUGE Linux proponent, as I believe it possesses the appropriate tools to suit the MAJORITY of users. If they only knew it even existed?! But as much as I prefer Linux, I'm an even BIGGER proponent of CHOICE!!! Educate yourself on your available options and make an intelligent decision that suits YOUR needs. And teach others how to do the same.

Personally speaking, I like the OS X system, it's user-friendly interface, and built-in safeguards for newer users. But I HATE...ABSOLUTE HATE...the closed eco-system where Apple decides what is appropriate for my software choices and the hardware it runs on. I will NEVER purchase Apple products as long as these policiies remain in place. However, this is the PERFECT system for my 70+ year old parents. Apple made all the confusing choices for them, and they have no concerns regarding imcompatible software or hardware components. It cost a little extra, but is worth it to THEM. The appropriate tool for the job...

Be informed and choose wisely!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Agreed!

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

It is much more fun to fix when broken!:p

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not for users who can't fix it themselves ;)

7. anis

anis Private E-2

Gentlemen,

Excellent points raised from both sides.

Very refreshing thread, one that reminds me of the hot debate decades ago as to which brand is better, Nikon or Canon, being a photographer for 4 decades I have come to respect both as being excellent but in the end it boils down to choice based on what suits you better and there is nothing wrong if one goes for either one.

As for OS I use both for different reasons on a daily basis, some things work better for me in Linux and some in Windows, again a matter of choice in a given circumstance.

If you are having fun while you get the job done, the better. ;)

8. onegoodman

When it comes to a crash. Out of all my years of using Linux. the only crash to the OS i ever experienced was a desktop crash, which just brought me back to my log-on screen. The system continued to run. I didn't need to reboot, just log back into the desktop.

On the hardware front they are making advances on the new hardware everyday.

".Visual Studio compatible" Check out VSLinux - ultimate solution for Linux code developers that prefer to use Microsoft Visual Studio as code editor. VSLinux provides means to generate Visual Studio project for arbitrary source code tree, initiate builds on remote Linux machines and analyze compilation errors produced by remote system exactly as if it was local build with Microsoft compiler. VSLinux is a free tool published as a part of Daynix Bricklets project. Search deynix/bricklets project on GitHub.

Like in all communities you have some bad people, but their is always someone willing to help.

When it comes to games one that I can think off is: OpenArena is a community-produced game , and that's just one there is many more to come.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've been using GNU/Linux for 15 years. If you haven't seen crashes, then you haven't used it for very long ;)

Yes, they make hardware advances all the time, but it is a constant game of catch up vs Windows and to a kesser degree, OS X.

VSLinux sounds more like IDE familiarity than compatibility...you can't very well test your C#, F#, or VB apps in it that I can tell. I don't need familiarity, because I can use Eclipse just fine.

"More to come" has been a slogan for GNU/Linux re: games for as long as I can remember.

GNU/Linux is a good OS that is very customizable, but it simply isn't a tool that can replace Windows in every scenario. You can push against it all you want, but that square peg will not fit into that round hole.

10. onegoodman

I just love my Linux machines, I have an old p4 machine in the basement that I use as a backup, and file server. Using Debian, and samba. I have full read and write to a large hard drive. The only time I need to reboot was on a kernel update. It works great to backup the windows machines in the house. In a lot of cases system restore just don't work.
    I spend more time on the upkeep of my Wife's , and Daughter's Windows machines. Than my own then again Linux don't require a lot of upkeep.

11. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I've been using Ubuntu for 4 years now (since 9.10) and my experience has been more similar to onegoodman's, wherein an application needs to be ForceQuit, or an X desktop crash, wherein the underlying system continues to run and I just log back in. Ubuntu Linux has been SUPREMELY stable for me, especially in comparison to that "former" OS. Maybe when I have 15 years' experience, I'll have something different to report, but for now I'll have to respectfully disagree that has NOT been my experience!

100% CONCUR with the square peg/round hole analogy! FWIW, the inverse is also true...you can't push a round peg into a square hole. Lucky for me, if Linux is the square peg, it turns out that I am a square hole! Not sure if I like the sound of that, but I guess it's better than another type of hole?! :-D

12. onegoodman

When it comes to Linux I have been running a little on the cutting edge. This is the system I'm running.
    I still have the Alpha version. The beta base version just came out last week. I'm waiting for the full version before I upgrade to it.
    System: Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.6.6-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit)
    Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-12.5-full-alpha2-amd64 Edelweißpiraten 09 November 2012

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you want true cutting edge, you will want Arch.

They are on the 3.8.2 kernel.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't have to spend time with upkeep on any of my machines. My daughter even has her own laptop (she is 9) and has no malware or instability issues.

15. onegoodman

Arch Linux has been around longer than Antix. That's why Antix has finally released the beta version for public testing. I like playing with the new kid on the block. :)

16. onegoodman

I have my Linux machine to run as a full Multimedia center. Including 4 channel stereo sound.
    The system:
    The screen shot.:

Attached Files:

17. ichase

ichase Corporal

Really great points both ways to the point that there really is not much more to add. I started using Linux in 2010. As a computer geek that enjoyed tinkering since the days of DOS, pre Win 3.1 days, Linux became the perfect choice for me. I exclusively use Arch Linux and have now for about 2 years. My laptop, Server (with Samba) and my Rasberry-Pi all have Arch installed. Plus, I wanted to "LEARN" linux and not just run it. Arch has done A LOT to teach me about how Linux works under the hood.

Though, THANK GOD for Clonezilla, because in tinkering and learning, I have had to re-image on MANY occasions. As mentioned, I have tried countless times to force that square peg into the round hole. :-D

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I guess we can add to this list.

#I lost count: It is simply more fun to use.

19. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I've been running Linux for 10 years. My main work stations are running Slackware 14.0 and Slackware-current. I also like and have used Debian, Arch, and the BSDs. My favourite BSD is OpenBSD.
    I think Adrynalyne said it best. Linux is more fun to use. :)

20. onegoodman

I'm running this now.
    This version has not been released to the public yet. We are still testing the system. So far I can't find ant thing wrong. Works well with all the software I can find from word processing to
    3d games. I should be getting a kernel update today or tomorrow.

I have been having fun trying new things.

21. onegoodman

I should of not tried the auto-correct in the browser "ant thing" should be anything.:)

22. ichase

ichase Corporal

Could not have said it better myself :dancer:dancer:dancer

23. candive

candive Corporal

I use Both Windows and Linux.
    When I fix a Windows Computer the first thing I do is Live boot Puppy or Knoppix to save the Windows Data.
    I trained as a Windows IT but Definitely prefer the "Freedom to Choose" with Linux.
    I am better known as "LinuxPusher" now.
    Cheers !

24. 56Wrecker

56Wrecker Private E-2

I'm CONVINCED to give it a try. I delayed using Windows XP because it had so many problems early-on...AND I really was comfortable with Windows 2000 Pro. BUT....that ended...and XP will sooon end. I haven't tried Windows 7 and already dislike Windows 8 because of the "touch-interface". I have decided upon trying Linux Mint because it supposedly is friendly to NEW (and basically ignorant users----like me).
    I'm studying it now....and will see IF I'm "up-to-it".
    I'd like to get the "Microsoft Monkey" OFF MY BACK !

Wish me LUCK ! (I'll need it.) rolleyes
    -56Wrecker- :)

25. theefool

theefool Geekified

Heh, I use linux also. Also, used unix. HPUX and Solaris. [Military background]

But, 4 channel stereo sound? That doesn't make any sense. Since stereo is is left and right audio. So, two channels.

26. onegoodman

4 channel is left right front, and left right rear. I have a 6 channel surround sound on mine.

27. onegoodman

I you are running a muticore processor, I would recommend the 64 bit Mint with the cinnamon desktop.

28. onegoodman

29. 56Wrecker

56Wrecker Private E-2

My processor is an Athlon 64 ....so I imagine that it would work OK.
    I'll look at the cinnamon desktop version.
    THANKS ! :)

30. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I've taken Mint for a spin. It is a wonderful version of Linux. I think you will really like it. :)

31. 56Wrecker

56Wrecker Private E-2

THANKS ! Looking OK so far ! :)

32. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

I have a laptop with a Linux type of operating system and I've known it to have similar problems like my Windows computer has had.

The Linux computer said that it crashed and couldn't open the files needed.
    I just find it a little odd that a user on here listed that it never crashes or doesn't have problems... :confused

33. onegoodman

The first thing I would do, is check the function of the hard drive, for bad sectors.
    if that was the case of linux not able to open needed files. I would also check all the systems hardware.
    With Linux I have found that most of the failures have been hardware related issues.

34. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

You may want to add using multi-track recording software to the list. Years ago I installed Linux Red Hat 8 on an old computer. I loved it. However my hobby is music and I run 2 programs (Pro Tools & Reason) on a laptop with Windows Vista as the operating system. The laptop runs nothing else and has been optimised to ensure that the software runs as smoothly as possible. There is no way Pro Tools will run on any Linux system. Believe me I went crazy trying to get an earlier version of Pro Tools to work with Red Hat at that time. It's is a shame but is a situation that will not change in the near future according to all the forums I read and this is the stumbling block, as any operating system that I choose is governed by the fact that it needs to run the software. For me Windows fits the bill at the moment.

35. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

If you're married to ProTools, then yes, Windows is the best tool for the job for you. But you sound like me. You like Linux software and music is your hobby. Nice to meet you, but guess what Garry? Linux has viable alternatives for folks like us!!!

Recommended by a Windows friend with a professional studio, I have a "Lite" version of Steinberg Cubase on an old Windows XP desktop, dedicated to music recording in my basement studio. Runs fantastic!

But I've recently discovered that Linux has SEVERAL viable alternatives to Cubase/ProTools/Cakewalk music software. Rosegarden, LMMS (Linux Multi-Media Studio), Tractor(?), and Ardour are all very capable replacements, especially for hobbyists like us. I zeroed in on Ardour based on its visual similarities to the Cubase that I already knew, although Rosegarden is reputed to be the most fully-featured and perhaps more attractive to ProTools migrators? Ardour can duplicate everything I do with Cubase, FWIW.

I've also learned that Linux has a hardware driver for my Lexicon Omega device, which is my primary interface box to record my music to the laptop. With that important information, the Linux-based recording-box quest was on, and I quickly found Ubuntu Studio and installed it on a second old Windows machine, running side by side with Cubase on Windows, while I learn how to do Cubase stuff in Ardour. (Ubuntu is my favorite flavor of distro, so this was a natural fit for me; but all programs I mention are likely to have Red Hat-friendly RPM files, or are available in Red Hat repositories I imagine.) Ubuntu Studio has bundles of software pre-installed for audio production, video production, and photography. Ardour is pre-installed and pretty much configured to work out of the box. I've also grown fond of Hydrogen, which is a drum loop machine that comes in quite handy for interesting beats and creating song structures when the muse strikes, but no drummer is immediately available. Lately, I've been investigating using JackRack as a replacement for guitar foot pedals, and AT1 to pitch-correct vocals, which is my achilles heal...:-o

So, for me, music recording in Linux is certainly viable and infinitely more affordable! ProTools is quite expensive, so I assume you're very serious about your hobby and very good at it! FWIW, my work product does NOT sound professional to other audiophiles (at least not yet), but to other musicians and layman, it DOES sound profeesional. I'm happy with that.

I'm not trying to talk you out of using ProTools. Fact is, if you're married to it, you're "locked in" to using it and you're "locked in" to Windows. But if you're interested in equally viable and much less expensive (free!) alternatives on Linux, they do exist and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just sharing the knowledge that you DO have a choice when it comes to music production software on Linux. Good luck Garry!

36. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thanks Hedon,

I will certainly look into it.The machine that ran Red Hat is long gone, think Windows Me timeline LOL. I have another machine running Vista which I use for general stuff and I'm tempted to partition the hard drive and install Linux in light of your information. This would be a long term project (over the next 12 months, famous last words) and you are right I'm currently 'Wedded to Pro Tools & Reason'. I am not to concerned with the operating system versus operating system debate as anything I've tried has worked (for me). You would be suprised at how many people think I'm mad for using (and liking) Vista, ditto for Windows Me when I was using it.
    I also work full-time so having spare time is at a premium. I do however like the idea of running Linux and trying the available music software (sounds like fun). Years ago I was systems administrator for a company and migrated their Unix system to Windows 2000 (the incoming CEO was a windows fanatic (( nearly ruined the company)),long painful experience) and I'm sure I could make Linux work with a little help. Thank you very much for drawing my attention to the options available. Once I decide and bite the bullet I hope I can pick your brain if required.:-D

37. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

A quick question. Should I install the Ubuntu OS and then Ubuntu Studio?:confused

38. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

NO! Ubuntu Studio is its own distro, like Ubuntu, like Fedora, etc... Ubuntu Studio is just a specialized spin, based on Ubuntu underpinnings, with audio, video & photo tools "baked in" and ready to roll.

Here's a link to check it out:

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Go to download page and select 64 or 32 bit version appropriate for your hardware. IMO, you should stick with 12.04, as that is a LTS (long-term support) release. 12.04 will be supported for 5 years! But that's just my opinion, FWIW.

39. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I don't know if this is an omen for you GarrySpicer, but my July 2013 issue of Linux Format #172 just arrived today and pg. 86 begins a 4-page article on using the Ardour pro audio production suite. In case you're interested, you should look for that issue (#172) coming out soon! If you live in the USA, I used to buy them at Waldenbooks (now Books-A-Million a/k/a BAM) before I was a subscriber.

40. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Hello Hedon,
    I had been meaning to get back to you but as always 'Life' got in the way. I have fortunately survived a heart attack among other things and am back on deck ready to try recording on a Linux system. I now have one of my computers as a dual boot Ubuntu / Vista system and am awaiting the Lexicon Omega interface which should be delivered this week. I installed Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS yesterday and am playing around with it. I know that you recommended Ubuntu Studio, and I thought that I had downloaded it, but when I installed from the disk it came up with 12.04.4. I was thinking of uninstalling it all but decided I could not be bothered. I will be downloading Ardour and Hydrogen and giving them a run sometime in the next week or so, hopefully it will all go smoothly. A musician friend of mine is waiting anxiously to see how it all goes as he would love to record but cannot afford the dollars for Pro Tools. I am the guinea pig LOL. I will let you know how I go. Would it be OK to pick your brains if required? On an aside, here is a link to a site I posted some of my music on prior to my heart attack, this will give you an idea of the range of stuff I usually record.
    http://www.maketunes.com/audio/user/26113
    :-D

41. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Holy cow! Glad to hear you're back in the saddle, alive & kicking, and any other cliches you want to use. Be well!

I don't think Ubuntu 12.04.4 is going to work for you. I really think you need Ubuntu Studio, AV LInux, or DreamStudio, or another music-centric distro. The reason is that these distros use specially compiled kernels with "zero latency" which is REAL important when recording.

The good news is that if Ubuntu 12.04.4 is working on your machine without issues, then UbuntuStudio should be awesome. Go to www.distrowatch.com and download UbuntuStudio, or AVLinux, or DreamStudio. I personally use UbuntuStudio, but any of these distros should have the zero latency kernel and they all tend to have similar softwares. You should be able to boot a LiveCD and click install; the installer should identify a Linux OS and a Windows OS; the installer should ask if you want to install OVER the existing Linux OS (you do!).

You can certainly pick my brain, although I'm not sure how much help I'll be. But I'll offer whatever help I can give!

I'll check out your tunes when I have more time. Always cool to hear someone else's artwork.

42. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thanks, have downloaded Dream Studio and was able to boot of a disk. I am installing it now. I'm a bit worried though as it has been about 3 hours since I started. It has been partitioning my hard drive for all that time, it did say that it could take a long time. Hoping it's normal to take this long to resize a + 900Gb hard drive. It has allocated 627Gb for Vista and 317Gb for Dream Studio.

43. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

I have been trying Linux for years and quite candidly it's like trying to drive a car from the back seat! Not for me I am sorry to say!

44. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Finally installed it. Funnily enough, I now have 3 partitions - Vista, Ubuntu and Dream Studio. As soon as I get the Lexicon Omega I will let you know how I'm
    getting on.

45. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Cool! Note sure what you did, or how you did it, but it sounds like you are triple-booting DreamStudio, Ubuntu, and Vista! It's not a big deal, as long as things are working. Eventually, once you're certain that a Linux system is adequately suiting your needs, you'll probably want to expand that partition to the whole drive anyhow. :cool

Before we go any further, we have started to hijack this thread, IMO. You should probably start a NEW thread with a title such as: Linux - Music Recording, or something similar. And maybe a mod will come along and tell us how to "peel off" our music studio discussion and "merge" that into your new thread title. Just a courtesy to future readers of the thread. I don't want folks clicking on the Reasons to Switch to Linux thread, following through the logic/posts, then losing interest with our music discussion. Again, perhaps a mod can post a link to your new thread title for anyone who WANTS to be a part of the music recording discussion.

With all that said, you are going to LOVE the Lexicon Omego. And I'm happy to contribute whatever knowledge I might possess. Perhaps we'll be trading knowledge, as I'm very interested in your DreamStudio choice. DreamStudio was VERY interesting to me, as it's obviously based on Ubuntu 12.04 and would be VERY familiar to me. I chose UbuntuStudio because that distro is much lighter on resources for a dual-core 1.4Ghz machine, and because UbuntuStudio appears to have a much larger userbase to assist with any troubleshooting, music discussions, hardware recommendations, etc...

But I would like to upgrade my recording machine rig to something with a faster processor or perhaps a quad-core, so that I can virtualize my current WinXP with Cubase setup and run it on the same machine as Linux, as needed. Once I do that, I'd like to reconsider the DreamStudio distro, as it is much closer to what I am used to. Perhaps I can pick YOUR brain about that?! Quid pro quo?

Start a new thread, post a link in this one that "a new thread for music production on Linux was created, click here to follow along/join in" and if a mod doesn't come along and "clean up" this one, I'll PM someone (Adrynaline perhaps?) and ask if that is necessary and if so, how to do it?

See you there Garry!

46. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Sorry to hear that Ewen, but I chuckled at your analogy, as that was my experience until things clicked for me.

With that said, Linux isn't for everyone. If you don't have the "right distro" on the "right hardware" AND the "right mentor" to assist you, Linux can be a struggle for a newbie who wants to give it a shot.

When is the last time you gave Linux a try? What machine were you hoping to try it on? We've got the "mentor" base covered here on MajorGeeks, so if you're still wanting to give it a try, answer those two previous questions here.

Here's how I work: based on your answers, I will suggest a few distros (2-5) that will address those answers. Others will likely chime in with what works for them also. Feel free to ignore anyone, or even all of us, as our experiences may not be your experience!

YOU will decide what works for you, what works for your hardware, and what fits your computing needs. There is no "magic" distro that works for everyone (Windows doesn't either!), but I'll bet there's one that works for YOU! And THAT is the beauty of Linux. It isn't everything to anyone, but there's something for everyone. Ball's in your court...

47. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

I must admit that of all the distros I have tried I have had the most success with Mint 15. When I do use it (which is seldom) I have it installed on a VMware Workstation that way I don't have to muck around with installing printers and the Internet... those two were the bane of my existence.

48. garryspicer

garryspicer Private E-2

Thanks Hedon for setting me straight, apologies to everyone

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=284616

49. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Mint is a good choice for new linux-users. It's mature, stable, somewhat resembles a familiar Windows layout, and has a good userbase for tech support.

Internet (wifi chips?), printers, and scanners are still somewhat hit or miss in linux, but it's gotten MUCH better. Nearly all wifi chips work with no additional effort; many printer manufacturers now supply linux drivers (HP is very linux-friendly; Epson and Brother now supply drivers for many of their printers and scanner).

If you have a printer or scanner that the manufacturer doesn't provide linux drivers for, and the Open Source community hasn't already reverse-engineered, you're pretty much out of luck. Either stick with Windows, or purchase new peripheral hardware. But MOST modern hardware seems to be linux-friendly, especially if you stick with certain vendors, such as previously mentioned.

If you choose the right distro (Mint is a good choice), and choose the right printer or scanner, it really IS as easy as plugging it in, letting the distro "find new hardware" and having the distro fetch a driver and install it automatically.

Please don't let issues with older "unsupported" hardware sour you on linux. It's a hardware issue...but it isn't likely to get addressed, as linux developers tend to focus their limited resources on developing drivers for newer hardware that is likely to be in use for a longer period.

If you WANT to continue with Mint, all you need is some "solid" hardware recommendations and you're good! And "solid" doesn't necessarily mean "new"...it could be something as simple as swapping 2 printers around to accommodate the machines they're connected to.

Even if you don't pursue it further, I'm glad you have it in a VM and are experimenting. A little extra knowledge never hurt anyone! ;)

50. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'll add my vote, FWIW, to Mint. Mint 13 is a good choice as it is offered as Long Term Support. I run it on a laptop myself, and find it needs no more "mucking about" than any windows box I've used.

Ubuntu is another good choice. Both Ubuntu and Mint fork from Debian, and the software offerings are very good. With Mint you can draw from and use many Deb and Ubuntu packages...

That said, sometimes it is the journey, not the destination, for a computer geek, the learning...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds