XP Setup locks up at "Welcome to setup"

Discussion in 'Software' started by umbepo, Jun 3, 2007.

1. umbepo

umbepo Private E-2

Hello,
    Today I decided to do a fresh install of XP, and for fun I would put on Windows 98 SE. An error occured (keyboard wouldn't be detected) just after 98 formatted my hard drive, so I had to abort. Then, I put in my WinLite XP CD, and tried to install. It gave me an error that no hard drive was found, I assumed since it was stuck in the 98 filesystem. I installed ubuntu 6.10 as it was recognizing my hard drive, then I installed windows Vista and formatted the whole drive as NTFS. Now, I tried the same winlite cd and it still gave me the same error. I tried the normal OEM xp setup disk I have and it locks up at the "Welcome to Setup" screen, not letting me press anything. What's the problem? Vista gives me the blue screen of doom as soon as I log in.

Thanks!

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I hear Vista doesn't play well with others, load it last. Have a funny feeling I will be waiting for a new operating system to hit the planet for some time, someday GNU will get it down right for us common folk. Never bought into Win 95 either, it took XP to get me back into Mr. Gates vehicle. So as a licensed XP operator I am anxiously awaiting the release of XP SP3.
    djb

3. umbepo

umbepo Private E-2

all right, I didn't make something clear.. All I want at the end of the day is XP and some extra 20GB or so so I can add ubuntu later.. for now, I would just like to get xp running, no dual-boot or any other OS's. any tips?

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try downloading the utilities disk from your HD manufacturer's website. Then use the "prepare HD for OS install" option. This should make your disk visible to XP and remove any troublesome leftovers from the previous installs. You can then create the desired partition size from the XP boot disk.

For future reference always load MS operating systems oldest to newest. 98...XP...Vista. I'm pretty sure Win98 has to be on the first partition or at least very close to the beginning of the disk.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds