Disable Windows Automatic Driver Install in Windows 7 Home Premium

Discussion in 'Software' started by Canzealander, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Canzealander

Canzealander Private E-2

I am trying to prevent my computer from automatically installing drivers. I have Windows 7 Home Premium, so I don't have gpedit.msc. The option of Start --> Computers --> Properties --> System --> Advaned System Settings --> Hardware --> Windows Update Driver Settings --> "Never check for drivers when I connect a device" doesn't work either, as Windows 7 will cheerfully ignore that setting. I am somewhat unhappy with this. I also farted around in the registry editor, but I could not find the paths that the tweaking guide I was reading was telling me about. Has anybody had this particular problem?

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Why are you trying to prevent drivers from being installed automatically?

My best guess is that there is a driver finding Service that can be stopped/set to manual.

3. Laniius

Laniius Private E-2

Does it really matter what I want it for? I don't want the auto-download, and the option that SHOULD prevent it doesn't.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Auto-download and auto-install are different things. W7 already has a database of the most common drivers installed by default and will install the best driver it sees fit, from the hard drive.

5. Laniius

Laniius Private E-2

If you must know it's usbvideo.sys that I'm interested in. I want to disable my webcam. It's an integrated cam on a laptop. I delete the file, it prompts for restart, I restart, then it pops up that it is downloading usbvideo.sys. Even though I chose the option to not dowload any drivers.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Disable your webcam by going into the BIOS. I've done that on my netbooks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds